Man Did I Get Jacked....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toadyus

Reaction score
But there is nothing I can do..paid $30 CND to get my 5lb co2 bottle filled....simply wooooowzerz...but praxair wanted $40 so I went to the cheaper fire safety place as people advised. Now I read that people pay half that for a 5lb co2....hopefully I don't have any leaks.

I've found the prices can vary over a wide range. I get my 10 lb. filled up at my LHBS for $22. I'd keep looking around for different places.

I pay $15.00 U.S. to swap my bottle at airgas. I go with my friend who has an account there, they give him steep discounts because he buys huge tanks of argon and other stuff for his plasma cutter. The gas places give huge discounts for people who are frequent and corporate customers.

Donasay said:
I pay $15.00 U.S. to swap my bottle at airgas. I go with my friend who has an account there, they give him steep discounts because he buys huge tanks of argon and other stuff for his plasma cutter. The gas places give huge discounts for people who are frequent and corporate customers.

Last time I went to Airgas it cost me $22. Yesterday it was $15. Dunno why it went down, but since I can't seem to find a fire extinguisher place around here, I'll take it.

Paid $34 USD today for hydrostatic testing and a refill on my 5# from fire equipment place.

$22 at airgas for a 5# tank in Alexandria. Places in my home town are cheaper but they've decided they don't like me, so they took my personal schedule, found when I'd be commuting or at work and announced those times as their business hours.

I think my LHBS did that too. :p

toadyus said:
Located in Alberta...
Where in Alberta, man? I can point you to a couple places in Calgary.

Praxair is going to be about the MOST expensive place around here. Welding shops and fire safety shops are generally much cheaper.

I pay $10 for a refil of a 5lb tank. ALthough I believe the rate is a flat fee at our local welding shop. Unless I misunderstood, it was $10 to fill any size CO2 tank, including swapping out a 50lber.

They also rent out 50lb tanks for $2 a month.... since I use CO2 for airbrushing as well I am really thinking about it....

I pay 14 bucks to fill my 5lb tank at a welding shop nearby. I thought I was getting a good deal, till I saw some prices you guys are getting..

I paid 30 dollars CAD as well at my LHBS... I know there's a place that does it cheaper, but it's nearly impossible to get to without a car.

I'm not familiar with the fire extinguisher refill concept and couldn't find much about it via searching. Would anyone care to extrapolate? I have a few tanks that are tapped, so to speak.

Find a fire extinguisher place. Bring in tank. They fill tank. You pay them. Take tank home.

I bring mine to a fire extinguisher place, since it's a fairly new tank, clean, and I like shiny things so I wanna keep it.

the_bird said:
Find a fire extinguisher place. Bring in tank. They fill tank. You pay them. Take tank home.

I bring mine to a fire extinguisher place, since it's a fairly new tank, clean, and I like shiny things so I wanna keep it.

That sounds pretty tricky. ;)

No, I was just unaware that there were designated fire extinguisher refilling places. I'll look around for one. Thanks.

I just paid about $3.80 for my 5 lb refil at the local weld shop in St. George Utah. When I went to Airgas down the street they wanted $30 for a swap.

Matt Foley said:
I just paid about $3.80 for my 5 lb refil at the local weld shop in St. George Utah. When I went to Airgas down the street they wanted $30 for a swap.

Going to a welding shop sounds like a good idea. They might even give it to you for free if you bring some homebrew. :D

I was paying about $18 US for my 10 pounder. Going through about 1 a month, it was pretty silly.
I am now renting a 50 pounder for $6/month and that included the 1st fill. It is $25 to fill it when it empties. The economics made sense to me, so I did it. Sure I have this bloody great tank sitting next to my freezer now - but the brew tastes the same :)

Kilroy

For those who live in the North County San Diego area, I looked all around and Five Star Gas and Gear in San Marcos was by far the best option I found. It was $9.25 to refill a 5-pound CO2 tank and $13.46 to refill a 20 cu ft 75% Nitrogen / 25% CO2 tank. Plus I got my propane tanks refilled at the same time and they were generally nice, knowledgeable guys.
/endorsement

I paid $28 after taxes for a 10# tank at a welding gas shop. The fire extinguisher place wanted about the same. I think this is just one of those things that varies wildly across North America.

adx said:
I paid $28 after taxes for a 10# tank at a welding gas shop. The fire extinguisher place wanted about the same. I think this is just one of those things that varies wildly across North America.

Yeah it's interesting to see the variation from state to state (or province, as it may be). I'm glad I found a reasonably priced supplier, even if they're not nearly as cheap as other locales.

Back