Maltodextrin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mushi387

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a stout recipe that calls for the addition of malto-dextrin. I've never used it before and not sure when it needs to be added? I don't even know if this is a powder or a liquid?

I've gathered that it's used to add some body to the beer - I was going to use 0.25lb of it for a 5 gallon batch that has the following:

dark liquid extract - 6lb 8 oz
2 row caramel 120 - 1 lb
black malt - 4 oz
roasted barley 4 oz
chocolate malt - 1lb

Malto-dextrine is for body, I would use it depending on what you expect you FG to be. If it's going to be low less than 10.10 I'd use it. Add it in the boil to make sure it is sanitized. Also what yeast are you using? You may be able to get away with a less attenuating yeast to leave a little body to the final product.

I like Malto additions for stouts. I don't always like euro style yeast profiles for stouts so I'll use a clean american yeast and add 8oz of maltodextrin at bottling/kegging if I feel like it needs more body. It doesn't seems to add any real sweetness like mashing higher does.

Malto-dextrine is for body, I would use it depending on what you expect you FG to be. If it's going to be low less than 10.10 I'd use it. Add it in the boil to make sure it is sanitized. Also what yeast are you using? You may be able to get away with a less attenuating yeast to leave a little body to the final product.

Thanks Josh.

My predicted FG is 1.017 and the yeast I'm using is the White Labs Irish Ale. Would you suggest using a different yeast or do you think I could get away without using the maltodextrine given the higher expected fg? (btw, these calcs are from the brewmasterswarehouse brew builder and it's an extract brew... not sure if that changes anything.

White labs irish ale yeast is a great yeast, I would take a sample at botteling and see if it has the body you want. I suspect that you won't need the maltodextrine as I have always ended up with higher FG/thicker brews using extracts.

Thats the killer thing about it... You can add it anytime in the process. like at your first transfer. If your beer is thin add some, at bottling, if you didnt get the results you wanted at transfer...add some more!
Cheers
Jay

thanks for all the input everyone! very helpful - i will see how it goes and test if i need to add it during bottling.

Back