Maltodextrin in Extract Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jknapp12105

Reaction score
What is the proper amount of MD that should be put into a 5 gal batch? My Porters need to be thicker. I have a great flavor, just not a good body.

4-8 Oz. per 5 Gallons of Beer .

It also depends on the percentage of your Crystal malt .

I'm an extract brewer and I brewed recently a "Brown Porter" . I added 5 Oz. of Dextrin along with the Dextrose by the time of bottling and I'm satisfied with the result .

Hector

hector said:
4-8 Oz. per 5 Gallons of Beer .

It also depends on the percentage of your Crystal malt .

I'm an extract brewer and I brewed recently a "Brown Porter" . I added 5 Oz. of Dextrin along with the Dextrose by the time of bottling and I'm satisfied with the result .

Hector

Can you compare your result with a commercial beer, (as in body type). Did you not add the MD while you were boiling the wort?

Can you compare your result with a commercial beer, (as in body type). Did you not add the MD while you were boiling the wort?

I always add Dextrin along with Dextrose at bottling time .

It's impossible for me to compare my Beer with a commercial one , because only Non-Alcoholic Beer is produced commercially where

I live and they are light lager Beer .

That's the main reason that I brew at home .

Hector

What is the proper amount of MD that should be put into a 5 gal batch? My Porters need to be thicker. I have a great flavor, just not a good body.

How long are you letting the beer mature? Porters take more time to mature than lighter color beers and if you let them have sufficient time you may find that the body is there. My "Robust Porter" was pretty thin when bottled and I was disappointed with it but about 2 months later is suddenly gained body and really was robust.

Back