Malto Dextrin , use of?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostyp

Reaction score
What benefits does it give ?
Any downsides to using it ?
Is there a recommendation or average quantity to use ?
I've never used I believe more mouth feel and head retention , is the difference that noticeable?

Maltodextrin is in essence powdered converted carapils...or dextrin malt.

Its not sweet at all and it aids in head retention and body.

8oz per 5gal is a normal dosage I believe,

Its also used in wild brewing since its a compound only bugs like brett can break down

It's a largely unfermentable carbohydrate and adds maltiness and a creamy body to low gravity beers. The downsides are only when used in excess where you don't want or need it. There is no average quantity to use as every recipe is different. You use it where you need to add a creamy, rich malt body to a beer that would otherwise taste thin and watery.

They say it's about 5% fermentable. The previous descriptions are basically what it's used for. Take Cooper's enhancer2,it's 60% dextrose,20% maltodextrin & 20% light DME in a 1kg box. It's intended for their 23L or 6.072USG batches. 5 gallons being about 19L (5.016),it'd have more of an effect by a litle bit. So no more than something like 250g in a batch on average.

Back