MaltMill Barley Crusher- 7lb or 15lb Hopper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coypoo

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am going to get a Barley Crusher but am curious if I should spend the extra $20 on the 15 lb hopper instead of the smaller one. I brew 5 gal batches and are usually around 1060ish. Thanks,

I got the big one and even then I have to do my grain in batches for anything higher gravity or bigger than 5 gallon batches. For anything bigger (volume or OG) you'll want a bigger hopper IMO. Of course it's not hard to add a smaller amount of grain at a time, either.

But for any type of pale ale or whatever, if you're doing AG 5 gallon batches you will use 10+ pounds of grain.

You can quickly find an extra $20 laying around. But this is probably the only chance you'll have to buy a barley crusher.

Go bigger.

Crusher_3.jpg

I'm on the other side, go with the 7lb and use that 20 bones to buy a batch of ingredients. It's really not that hard to pick a bag up off the floor and refill the hopper.

I'm on the other side, go with the 7lb and use that 20 bones to buy a batch of ingredients. It's really not that hard to pick a bag up off the floor and refill the hopper.

I must agree. The smaller hopper also takes up less room when not in use. Refilling the hopper is super easy and most times you will only need to refill it once or twice beyond the initial fill. OTOH, the neighbors might be more impressed with a larger hopper. If that's the case, I think I would have a large stainless steel hopper fabricated for maximum impact.

Get the small one, and buy yourself a small, rubbermaid type trash can, and cut the bottom out of it. Set it in the smaller hopper, and you'll have your extra space, at a fraction of the extra $20.

Ghetto, but it works.

Personnaly I bought the 7Lb. and built my own hopper extension for a couple dollars and now my mill holds 20Lbs.

I'm hopping mad that I did not buy the bigger one. But it really is not that much extra effort to refill the hopper a few more times.

I must agree. The smaller hopper also takes up less room when not in use. Refilling the hopper is super easy and most times you will only need to refill it once or twice beyond the initial fill. OTOH, the neighbors might be more impressed with a larger hopper. If that's the case, I think I would have a large stainless steel hopper fabricated for maximum impact.

What he said.

Also my cordless drill gets pretty unhappy after a hopper full, having to reload gives it a much needed rest.

As an update, I got the 15 lb one yesterday. Super stoked. I know its not hard to refill, but since I brew a lot by myself, the less steps (no matter how easy) the better. Thanks for everyone's input.

Back