Malting necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gin007

Reaction score
So, I've been reading about the brewing process, and I'm interested in brewing a millet beer. However, most millet sold locally is hulled millet, making it very hard to sprout (there is no malted millet I can find yet, although I understand a CO company will have some available this summer). I however have tried to malt some hulled millet and now just have a batch of soggy millet.

I was wondering if it is absolutely necessary to malt before brewing. Will brewing just take longer or not work at all if the millet has not been broken down into simple sugars? There should be a small amount of natural sugars, and I could add some sugar if that would help. I just don't want to throw away this batch without trying something.

Thanks

Malting is all about getting the enzymes working that the mash needs. Raw grains don't have those enzymes in sufficient quantity to convert the starches.

I've heard that sweet potatoes have a lot of enzymes, so maybe you could do a mix of sweet potatoe and raw millet to get wort, but I don't know much about GF brewing.

You can buy amylase at any winemaking store (they sell it as "pectic enzyme"), so if you were only planning on doing an amylase rest, you should be OK with just it. Don't know where to get the other enzymes though, in case you need them.
Where are you getting your millet? I want to brew mbege in the future, so I'm gonna need some. I read somewhere you can get it at pet stores, as bird food...

You can buy amylase at any winemaking store (they sell it as "pectic enzyme"), so if you were only planning on doing an amylase rest, you should be OK with just it. Don't know where to get the other enzymes though, in case you need them.
Where are you getting your millet? I want to brew mbege in the future, so I'm gonna need some. I read somewhere you can get it at pet stores, as bird food...

Since when is amylase and pectalose the same thing?!?!?!

Pectic enzyme is to break down pectins (think anti- jelly when making fruit wines instead of jams). Amylase breaks down starches. Not the same thing at all!!!!!

Since when is amylase and pectalose the same thing?!?!?!

Pectic enzyme is to break down pectins (think anti- jelly when making fruit wines instead of jams). Amylase breaks down starches. Not the same thing at all!!!!!

Sorry, my bad. Somewhere along the way, I seem to have confused the names...:eek:

If you can drink normal beer, try using premalted barley and add the millet to it during the mashing process.
There's some bits about malting over in the gluten free forum, but I'm not sure if we've been successful with it compared to the other grains.

If it's not malted, or mashed with enzymes, then you're not likely to get much with millet, other than some flavor and starch. (Millet can be cooked like rice and served as a side dish so it's not like it'd be a total waste)

One of the problems with the storebought enzymes is that it's all alpha enzymes. I'm still working on understanding grain brewing, so I believe this means that you wind up with a fuller bodied worth with less fermentable sugars. (Unless I have it completely backwards, in which case I'll edit this and strike it out.) We're lacking the beta enzymes in which people are testing out different non-barley sources for (including sweet potato). Which I believe breaks down the starches and larger sugar chains to smaller ones that are more easily fermentable.

If you've not done any brewing, I'd recommend starting with barley or extract. Otherwise, browse the gluten free forum for more info on millet.

Where are you getting your millet? /QUOTE]

I got mine at a natural foods store - you can find hulled millet in the bulk foods sections of stores. Unfortunately, it has low germination rates, so it doesn't appear to be terribly useful for malting. I haven't found unhulled millet yet, although I saw one could buy it online (albeit in small quantities). More promising is the fact that a CO company will be selling malted millet this summer.

I have not brewed beer before. Although I'm not anti-gluten, I'm trying to recreate the West African "Tchoukatou" which is millet beer, so mixing it with barley probably would change the taste too much. Millet beer is not hard to make and it ends up tasting like hard cider. mmm. I will try the sweet potatos - thanks for the suggestion - and see how it turns out. Otherwise, looks like I'll have to wait until July to buy malted millet.

Thanks all!

Hmmm...I don't know if the bird seed is unhulled...

Anyways, I wasn't completely kidding when I suggested you could chew the grain. Peruvians use this method to brew a kind of corn beer they call "chicha", as saliva contains amylase. Maybe not the best way, but...

I couldn't find any information about "tchoukatou". Do you have a link to a recipe? I'd like to try it in the future...:drunk:

I am relying on a somewhat faulty memory of a time when I visited a Togolese woman who brewed Tchouk in Benin. It, however, is basically what is recorded on this blog: http://thembsterstravels.blogspot.com/2007/01/homebrew-bobo-style.html

The process is really easy and while the receipe given in this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/tchouk-traditional-west-african-beverage-48092/
seems to joking (swamp water, etc.), it really isn't, lol. That's pretty much spot on for how people in West Africa make it!

My friend and I were discussing and we think the most difficult part is finding the right type of yeast. Obviously we can't bring back a starter from West Africa and its hard to tell what sort of yeast it is, so it will sort of be guess and miss for awhile.

I found an online place to order whole millet from: http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/sprouting/millet_seed.htm
It's way more expensive than the hulled at natural foods stores :(

Here is the Colorado company that will have malted millet available (hopefully) later this summer. I emailed them and they are estimating July: http://www.coloradomaltingcompany.com/

If you find any other recipes for West African millet beer (it has various names around West Africa), I'd love to see them!

Oh yes, the bird seed was right on. I found a bunch more options by using "millet seed" (a bunch of bird seed, including organic, comes up). Thx for the info!

Wow, thanks for the links. Seems like a pretty easy process.
It seems like, for most African beers, the lack of specific information is the rule. I had the same problem when trying to find a mbege recipe. All I got is an article with the ingredient proportions, and the generals of the process. :(
Either way, this one seems easier.
Do they use any bittering agent? Seems like it'd be a pretty sweet brew if they don't...

Anyway, in case you're interested, mbege is from Eastern Africa, but it's still African...

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/african_food_preservers/107734

Oh yes, the bird seed was right on. I found a bunch more options by using "millet seed" (a bunch of bird seed, including organic, comes up). Thx for the info!

No, thank you for finding out about it. If it wasn't for this thread, I'd have probably wasted my money in the wrong stuff...

No, there is no bittering agent - so that is probably why it comes out with the sweet taste of hard cider. It was really great, but then again it was like 120 degrees in the shade all the time, so probably anything wet would have tasted awesome!

Alas, your link doesn't work for me :(

No, there is no bittering agent - so that is probably why it comes out with the sweet taste of hard cider. It was really great, but then again it was like 120 degrees in the shade all the time, so probably anything wet would have tasted awesome!

Probably...:D
Either way, I like sweets, so I may try it in the future...

Alas, your link doesn't work for me :(

I don't know what's going on, I tried fixing it a few times, but it just won't work.

Anyway, here's the recipe:

The preparation of 'mbege':

The ingredients of this famous Chagga alcoholic drink 'mbege' are as follows:

1. Ripe Banana - the main substrate
2. Finger millet - ('mbege') catalyst, nutrient and flavour
3. 'Msesewe' - Extract from a bark of quinine tree (Rauvolfia Caffra) that adds bitter, acquired flavour and tends to slow fermentation
4. Water - for boiling the mixture

The ingredient proportions are roughly one part of banana to three parts of water. The 'mbege' is added as one part to 12 parts of the brew while one part of the 'msesewe' is added to 40 parts of the brew.

(Picture: 'Mbege' in plastic barrels is ready to drink) Bananas are harvested and placed over the fireplace or in the ceiling of traditional Chagga huts where the temperature is high enough to speed the ripening. When they are ripe, usually after 5-7 days, the fruits are peeled and boiled in water until the mixture turns reddish brown. The level of browning is based on the person's preference with regard to the final product. After boiling, the mixture is allowed to cool before transferring to a plastic, earthen pot, or wooden container, where it is incubated for 4-5 days. The mash is mixed with more water and filtered through a bed of savannah grass and ferns on a bed of broad banana leaves mounted on a slopping trough. The filtrate is left for some hours prior to the inoculation with malted millet ('mbege') flour, hence its name 'mbege'. The Finger millet is sorted, and then soaked in water overnight, drained, incubated at room temperature until germination occurs, followed by sun drying (picture: malted millet being dried on an animal skin could be contaminated and may be detrimental to the quality of the brew) then ground to make coarse flour by using a grinding stone. (This stage of millet malt preparation is completed before the ripening of bananas.) The flour is mixed with water and simmered just below boiling temperature to form a porridge that will be inoculated to the already prepared banana juice. 'Msesewe' from the bark of a matured tree, which is bitter in taste, it is washed, cut into small peaces, boiled and filtered, The filtrate is added to the banana juice 12 hours prior to drinking. Sometimes the bark is ground to flour and mixed with banana during boiling. From start to finish the preparation of 'mbege' can take 7-10 days.

Thanks for the receipe! That looks really interesting - but I imagine the msesewe will be hard to find!

Well, quinine tea is available online, so I figured I'd go with that. Not sure how accurate it actually is, but it's the best I could find...

Back