Maltier hefeweizen without decocting or Melanoiden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
I want some more maltiness/body and I'm thinking of adding some Munich to the bill. I couldn't get any Melanoiden and I don't feel like decocting. Do you guys think 1/2lb is enough for 5 gallons?

I want some more maltiness/body and I'm thinking of adding some Munich to the bill. I couldn't get any Melanoiden and I don't feel like decocting. Do you guys think 1/2lb is enough for 5 gallons?

Yeah, that should be plenty. I'd still do a mini-decoction, though. It's not a lot of work. After 60 minutes at sacch rest, take a stiff 1/3 of the mash and boil it for 10 or 15 minutes. This will be enough to generate plenty of melanoidins and is easy as pie. I did that last weekend with my hefe and the hydro sample from the finished beer is nice and bready/malty. Come on, man, do it. DO IT! It's all of 10 or 15 minutes extra, and one more dirty pot. Big deal. :p

Yeah, that should be plenty. I'd still do a mini-decoction, though. It's not a lot of work. After 60 minutes at sacch rest, take a stiff 1/3 of the mash and boil it for 10 or 15 minutes. This will be enough to generate plenty of melanoidins and is easy as pie. I did that last weekend with my hefe and the hydro sample from the finished beer is nice and bready/malty. Come on, man, do it. DO IT! It's all of 10 or 15 minutes extra, and one more dirty pot. Big deal. :p

Well your decoction method spoiled me. Now I am no longer satisfied with single infusion hefeweizens. So you're saying wait the entire 60 minutes, pull 1/3rd to boil, and add it back before running off?

Well your decoction method spoiled me. Now I am no longer satisfied with single infusion hefeweizens. So you're saying wait the entire 60 minutes, pull 1/3rd to boil, and add it back before running off?

Hell yeah, it's that easy. No, it's not a 3-hour triple-decoct, but you still get melanoidin production. At least that's been my experience. And if you wanna decoct for longer, up to 25 minutes, you'll get even more.

So, yeah, just add it back to the mash tun and stir it up. You can start running off right then, or you can wait a few minutes depending on what your starch test indicates.

Hell yeah, it's that easy. No, it's not a 3-hour triple-decoct, but you still get melanoidin production. At least that's been my experience. And if you wanna decoct for longer, up to 25 minutes, you'll get even more.

So, yeah, just add it back to the mash tun and stir it up. You can start running off right then, or you can wait a few minutes depending on what your starch test indicates.

Sounds good...cheers

Back