Malted Wheat or Flaked Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBalls

Reaction score
I am planning to brew a Belgian Wit Ale, and I have a recipe that calls for malted wheat. I was on MoreBeer.com getting my ingredients and I found white malted wheat and put that in my cart. Then I stumbled on flaked wheat, which is the only wheat that Northern Brewer supplies, and it specifically says that it is ideal for brewing Belgian Witbiers. So, which do i use, and what is the difference? I appreciate the help!

I am planning to brew a Belgian Wit Ale, and I have a recipe that calls for malted wheat. I was on MoreBeer.com getting my ingredients and I found white malted wheat and put that in my cart. Then I stumbled on flaked wheat, which is the only wheat that Northern Brewer supplies, and it specifically says that it is ideal for brewing Belgian Witbiers. So, which do i use, and what is the difference? I appreciate the help!

Witbeer should be made with unmalted wheat. Plain raw wheat is best, but you can also use flaked wheat or torrified wheat.

Grist for traditional wit beer is:
Pils malt 50%
Raw wheat 45%
Flaked oats 5%
And use plenty of rice hulls to avoid stuck sparge. Wyeast 3944 is the right yeast.

Back