Malted Oats, Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MESmith

Reaction score
Will malted oats convert by themselves? I am trying to make a gluten free beer. I may be intolerant of gluten, just as I was starting to have fun brewing and moving to all grain.

I can get Sorghum extract, but not the grains. Sorghum seems to make a thin beer so I wanted to add some body but cant use wheat or barley to convert the mini mash.

I can also get the enzymes. Has anyone tried this?

This has come up a couple of times, the only two kinds of grains I know of that you can use to make a beer like this is sorghum and buckwheat.

I discussed buckwheat with another gentleman in this thread not all that long ago.

Bodensatz lists malted oats as a possibility for head retention and nutty flavor but says that more than 20% of your grain bill as oats will produce a strong flavor that will not be pleasant.

I would suggest that you look at other adjuncts to improve the body of the sorghum beer. Oatmeal would improve the body on a sorghum base, although it can leave a beer hazy. Mind you, hazy beer is better than no beer.

Gedvondur

Back