Malted Barley Flour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choch

Reaction score
I was just curious. I saw this in my grocery store and I was wondering if it was possible to use malted barley flour to brew beer. Would it work and how would it taste?

It should theoretically work if it's diastatic. It's probably 6-row.

If it's not diastatic, it won't work. It should specifically say it, because if it's steamed, the enzymes are denatured and it's not diastatic.

Good luck with separating the wort from the flour, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

There are two problems. The first is that it's flour and will get very sticky. The particles are very small. It would (presumably) have been dehusked before milling so you don't even have fine husk particles to separate the starch.

The other problem as Uatuba was getting at is all the unknown variables. Is it diastatic? If so, what is the power? What type of barley was malted? Was it kilned at all? You could test a small amount to see if it converts. And as a curious type person I can see myself brewing a beer with it just to see what I get, but I think ultimately it would probably be too much trouble compared to just buying the correct ingredients.

I'm the curious kind so I'd probably have to give this flour a try. I might first try a small amount as a mash to see if it would convert. Maybe just half a cup in the water should tell the story on that. If it converted, then I'd try mixing some of it with the milled barley to see if I could drain the mash tun with that much flour or instead I might do a batch BIAB but with at least some milled barley.

On another note: I have access to actual barley flour from the dust collector of a grist crusher. The "flour" is from a large brewing supplier and was thinking I could sift this malt powder (on top) of my stirred mash to increase O.G. and so it would be filtered during mash out, I'm assuming there is also plenty of alpha amylase for conversion but if not it could be added. Any thoughts on this?

Back