Malt Terminology?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy6026

Reaction score
What do the numbers refer to after the name of Malt.

For example, my recipe calls for Crystal 45 Malt. What's the 45 mean? My LHBS has Crystal 40 Malt. Is that likely to be 'close enough' as my intuition tells me, or is it likely to be something something significantly different? Probably a silly question...

thanks!

Degrees Lovibond (color scale). Using C10 vs. C80 will definitely have a color effect on a pale base recipe. Also, the darker you go with crystal/caramel malts, the more the flavors turn from light caramel candy to deep, pruney and rich. Light varieties are good for pale beers whereas the darker grades are good for dark beers like porters and stouts. Crystal malts in general are also toasty/nutty. 40 & 45 L are close enough and good for most pale, to amber, to brown beers assuming you don't go overboard with the amount since crystal malts are also quite sweet.

The numbers with an "L" after them mean the malts lovibond rating. It's how the color of the malt is rated. The higher the lovibond number,the darker the color. 40L will be darn close. You can look around online retailers to get the 45L & other "in-between" ratings. Midwest has the cara 45L malt for 1.04 per 1/2lb. I never use more than 1/2lb of crystal malts in my partial mashes. But I may also add specialty &/or color malts for color,flavor complexity,or head retention. I like to read up on grains at midwest site just to learn what they do,where they're from,etc.

I couldn't have asked for clearer explanations! Thanks!

Back