Malt substitution - Munich dark 30°L

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrickyDick

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Planning to do a double brew day, and don't have time to hit up the LHBS. Are there any ideas for substitution on the Munich dark malt 30 L? It's 13% of my grist. Pretty sure I do not have any. I have a large selection on hand.

Here is the planned grist:

79.5% Maris otter Crisp 4Ly
13.0% Munich dark Gambrinus 30L
3.0% c-90
3.0% Melanoiden
1.5% Chocolate malt 350L

Tentatively planing to use regular Munich instead, and add a bit of C30-45. and increase the c90 a pinch for color adjustment.

Thanks

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

If you have lighter munich then use that and offset the lack of color with the caramel, as you mentioned. If you have vienna then that can probably work in place but you have a color issue still so I would use munich and darker caramel. I think munich is kind of in a class all its own, or that was my theory.

Thanks. I think after a little more digging, I found this same recommended action given to others. Some folks didn't like the roasty character of the dark killed Munich. I have plenty of Munich left from my 50# sack I bought for the dopplebock I did. This is as good a spot as any to use some of it. Thanks!!

TD

Back