Malt smell- I'm not alone!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radtek

Reaction score
I work the late shift so I got home just before midnight. Got out of my car and walked down to check the mail. The aroma of boiling wort was drifting through the neighborhood. I looked up and back in the garage. Nope- no brewing going on there...

I'm not alone! Someone brews within a short distance, maybe houses down. It feels good.

I think the brewers in my area must be secretive about there brewing. I have caught a whiff here and there in my neighborhood but couldnt narrow it down to a house.

My neighbor actually came over this fall while I was brewing in my carport because he thought I was "cooking drugs"! (exact quote). I nearly pissed on myself laughing. Problem is, now he comes around all the time to "say hello" (read: mooch homebrew)

Sadly here at the medical school where I work I get that malt smell all the time...but it is only from the incinerators burning up all the agar plates and other medical waste from the student research labs....they use a form of DME evidently in their plates and it sure as heck smells like it...but like beer making and burning blood actually.

My partner here at work is a homebrewer as well and he agrees that it reminds him of cooking wort.

A few signs to look for;

- A beard, bald, and carhart overalls. However, this (fortunately) does not apply to female homebrewers. Well, not all of them at least.

- Homebrewing bumper stickers.

- Frequent gatherings but no beer bottles in the recycling bin.

- Spent grain bits in the driveway (from cleaning out the tun).

- A beautiful looking hop trellis visible from the street and dead grass in the yard peppered with bare spots.

- Little red O2 bottles in the blue bin.

:rockin:;):fro:

I too have a myster homebrewing neighbor. I live in a condo complex and one of the wireless internet sources my computer sees is called "homebrew" I've trying to figure it out for ever and can't. I'm hoping one day, they will see me taking my spent grain out to dumpster, i can make friends with them, and get free internet :)

I too have a myster homebrewing neighbor. I live in a condo complex and one of the wireless internet sources my computer sees is called "homebrew" I've trying to figure it out for ever and can't. I'm hoping one day, they will see me taking my spent grain out to dumpster, i can make friends with them, and get free internet :)

Don't forget that we're not the only people with the moniker "Homebrew" if you google the word you will see that people who build their own electroncis, especially computers, for whatever reason call it homebrew...

In fact at the bottom of google there are now "related searches"...and here's what came up...

homebrew psp
homebrew electronics homebrew downloads homebrew heaven
homebrew recipe homebrew instructions homebrew kegs psp hacks

So your neighber could just as easily be a computer geek, and a beer maker...

Sorry.

I'm not alone! Someone brews within a short distance, maybe houses down. It feels good.

I'll bet you're feeling a little like Chartlon Heston in the Omega Man when he spys the chick in the clothing store. Of course, it didn't turn out so well for Chuck. I'm just saying.

Now that the kids know what brewing gear looks like, a daughter said they have someone in their neighborhood who brews out in the garage.

I'm looking for them brewing, now, when I drive over to her house.

Back