malt mill problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyhoundbrewing

Reaction score
i was toasting malt in the oven. wasnt thinking and dumped it into the malt mill hopper and melted the two plastic triangles on either side of the screen.

should l replace the plastic triangles or remove the warped melted ones??

image-1033402272.jpg

Here she is in all her melted glory. Would it be detrimental to mill without the plastics? And use the entire length of the rollers?

I don't have a mill so I can't offer help...but thanks for the lesson. Sorry bud.

Could you offer up some sacrificial grain to see what happens?

I would just make some new triangles out of cheap thin aluminum flashing.

You need something to channel the grain to the center, trying to start the mill with the entire 10" length full of grain would take a lot of torque.

I run that mill full width and yes it does take a lot of torqe to get it running
The mill will be fine but you or your tools might not be

or you could get a wider screen which would slow the rate of grain into the rollers. That'd be the easiest fix, but of course the rollers will be full when you first start. Unless you started the rollers then poured in the grain.

FIXED! I bought a small pack of step flashing. Not touch the width. Measure down half an inch on each side. Then find center and measure down 5 1/4 inches and mark it. There are your sides. And after cutting snip about a quarter inch off the tip to square it off. It sits tight

image-3787339501.jpg

image-1423006769.jpg

Back