Malt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mediamst

Reaction score
Why does malt extract need to boil or simmer for so long? Isnt it disolved in the water after only a few minutes? What is the benefit of a 60 or 90 minute simmer?

It only needs to boil long enough to kill any bacteria that may be in there, and some would say it doesn't need to boil at all, although I'm not going to test this theory any time soon. It's the hops that need to boil. Your best bet is to add a small amount of your extract at the beginning of the boil and add the rest late in the boil, or even at flameout to decrease carmelization.

It's the hops that need the time, not the extract. If you are using pre-hopped extract, a 10 minute boil is plenty.

Well, EVERYONE'S correct!!!!

What do they win (voice from the sidelines says) ????

They win knowledge and an understanding of....how to make beer! :rockin:

I'd like to commend you on a bit of understanding of the process we call brewing.

To answer the first question..."What is the benefit of a 60 or 90 minute simmer?" Well, you may not know it, but it has NOTHING to do with extract.

The reason for boiling LME/DME wort for 60 mins is for hop bitterness extraction...PERIOD.

The reason for ANY boil over 60 mins is for all-grainers (AGers) because they have to boil their wort longer to reduce their water volume. It has NOTHING to do with hop utilization.

As for the Late Addition Method...I was doing it for years before I even knew it was a "method". To me it was just common sense, albeit "learned".

I never had a LARGE boil pot so I've always done reduced water volume boils. My brews were always darker than I wanted/expected.

Grains are mashed. LME is boiled down wort. DME is spray dried wort.

LME and DME have already been boiled once...;)

I do 1.5 gal boils...keeping in mind I will have boil off (evaporation). I add only 1 lb of malt to my 60 minute boil. This keep the gravity around 1.040 (1.045 if you used the BYO mag figures). Either way, they're in the ballpark.

I boil for 45 mins and remove the wort from the heat. I then add the remaining malt to the wort and steep for 15 mins.

The DME I add has already been boiled once so why boil it again?

The malt is added to a wort that has already attained 212F and will pasteurize at any temp above 180F just by steeping. This process does not contribute to further carmelization so the color is lighter than boiling it a second time for 60 mins.

I came upon this conclusion back in the early '90s.

I have been happy with my results...in the end that's all that matters. ;)

The malt is added to a wort that has already attained 212F and will pasteurize at any temp above 180F just by steeping.

Is this an extract addition at flameout your describing here? I have heard of this method before and, although I have never tried it, I understand that it is perfectly safe and acceptable. I've also heard of people adding extract to the wort after it's cooled, because they forgot about it, and I would never do this. The late additions I've done have been in the final five minutes of the boil and I've had good results.

Back