malt extract types

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer#19

Reaction score
this topic indirectly came up in another thread and since i myself have wondered what exactly the differences are, i thought i would post a thread and hopefully gain some knowledge in route to planning my next brew.

it was mentioned that a fellow brewer was going to use dark malt extract and in response another brewer recommend using grains with light malt extract to achieve the desired effect in place of the dark malt extract.

therefore my question would be what are the main differences and/or recomendations when it comes to what i'll say are 5 basic types of malt extract, light, dry, pale, amber, and dark? i'm planning my first custom recipe (along the lines of an amber/irish red) and i was planning on using grains and light malt extract, but i wonder, what differences could i see if i did a combo of light and amber malt or only amber malt while maintaining everything else the same?

It a matter of what grains the extract producer added to the wort, as well as a little bit of marketing. Light extracts are only pale malt, and pale extracts should also be the same, although there may be some light crystal malt. Amber extracts usually have some medium crystal. Dark extracts may have dark crystal or a bit of chocolate malt added.

Colors and actual recipes vary from producer to producer. The point is: you don't know what's in that extract. I agree to buy light extract and then add your specialty grains. It's not hard, it's not expensive, and it gives you a great deal more control over the finished beer.

TL

extract will add color and some flavour. for most recipes, however, i get most of my color and flavour from the grains and the dme is just to add alcohol content and some flavour. most people also add light extract so it doesn't affect the color as much. carmelization can make your beer darker, which is why some people add most of the extract at the end of the boil.

for certain styles, of course, you want to add the right dme...for a wheat, example. you can't have a wheat beer without wheat! ;)

yeast also plays a big factor in the end result...it can slightly affect color and GREATLY affect taste.

Back