Malt Extract Timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BNVince

Reaction score
In John Palmers book he recommends adding half of the total liquid malt extract in the last 5 minutes of the boil. He says this helps with the clarity of the beer.

I was wondering if anybody has ever tried this with dry malt extract. I have a recipe I'll be brewing this afternoon that calls for 6lbs of light DME. I was thinking of adding the last 3lbs with 5 minutes left in the boil. My only worry is that the extract won't completely dissolve.

Has anybody ever tried this?

you can do late extract addition with dry, no problem. DME actually dissolves easier than LME and has less possibility of scorching. If you do late additions of LME be sure to turn off your burner until the LME is fully dissolved to prevent scorching. I've done the same with DME but mostly because the boiling action blows some of the DME out of the pot for me.

I haven't, but many others have. Search for "late extract addition".

Short answer is, you'll be fine Just remember to adjust your hopping for the higher utilization fro the lower-gravity boil.

Yup, been there done that, works great.

Couple tips:
-If the DME came in a bag, put it into some thing else like a big plastic bowl, the steam will make it clump and the bags are hard to deal with if there is clumping
-You can ladle some of the wort into the bowl to get it all out, then dump it back into the pot
-Add it a little at a time, stir until that dissolves, then add more, this keeps you from getting clumps in the wort

Great. I'm going to add 3lbs of DME at the beginning and the rest of the DME with 5 minutes left in the boil off the heat.

Thanks.

Don't forget, as Bike N Brew said, to adjust your hops. You will extract more bitterness with less sugar in there.

Beerrific said:
Don't forget, as Bike N Brew said, to adjust your hops. You will extract more bitterness with less sugar in there.

Hmmm...well I'm not sure how to do that exactly. The recipe I made using Qbrew gives me a total of 38IBUS with .5oz of Nugget hops for 60 minutes and 1oz of perle hops for 15 minutes.

I did a late addition of half of the DME this past weekend-but I only waited until the halfway point (30 min.). I also added some irish moss, but it is by far my clearest beer to date. Not sure what it will eventually be like, but it's fermenting away right now and instead of the cloudy opaque look, it's more like clear liquid with distinct yeast particles circulating.

Back