Malt extract question for an oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjzelectric

Reaction score
3.3lbs pale malt extract (DME) in boil
3.3lbs pale malt extract (DME) at knockout
.5lbs crystal 120L malt
.5lbs roasted barley
BG for 3 gallons=1.048
OG for 5gallons=1.054

1oz. Fuggles
1oz. Willamette
Total IBUs=45

Options-6lbs. of dark (DME)

I got this recipe online for an oatmeal stout. This being the first batch that i will not use a premade kit, i have a few questions. First do i substitute the 6lbs of dark DME with the pale DME or do i use 12.6lbs of extract? Seems like alot. The recipe said that alot of HBS carry oatmeal extract, however mine didnt and they told me to just steep a pound of oats with my grains. Also i am a bit unclear with the whole knockout procedure. If I use the 6lbs. of dark DME in addition, should I add that in the boil, or maybe do half in the boil and half at knockout? I have no idea...

The recipe looks good to me, I would just add 1lb or so of oatmeal. I've only brewed one stout so far, so I'm no expert, but to me I wouldn't worry about the knockout addition for a stout. I've primarily done that for beers where you're trying to keep the color lighter, and for me with a stout, the darker the better. The idea is that the long boil carmelizes more of the extract and makes it darker. 6lbs of DME would be a little more than 6lbs of liquid if that is what you used in the past. I have only used liquid extract at this point, but that's what I've read.

12 lbs of extract? Way too much. Just use the 6.5, and if you want it Black use the dark, otherwise the roasted barley will contribuute most of you color.

I made an oatmeal stout with LME, and it was my best yet. As far as "knockout" is concerned, it just means that you add that amount of extract when you turn your burner off at the end of a boil. I've actually never heard it called that. Usually people call it "Flameout".

Back