malt conditioning experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fluffy is the main reason we (well, some of us) condition. Those husks form a filter bed, and the more intact they stay, the better the filter works. The volume it takes for my system to run clear wort during a vorlauf is probably less than half of what it takes when I don't condition. I haven't noticed any problems milling when I condition, either, but I'm pretty sure I don't spray as much water as the amount I see often see recommended. I put my grain in a large tub and mist it while rolling it over with my hand until it just sticks and call that good.

That said, my last batch was a double Belgian Blonde from midwest, so 10# 2-row, 8# wheat malt (no husks), 1# crystal 10, 8oz caravienne, and 1# flaked wheat. I was feeling lazy so I didn't condition, which was probably a bit irresponsible given how tight my mill rollers are gapped and the lack of husks in this batch, but I had 89.8% efficiency out of the mash tun, 85% overall, and zero issues lautering, so I'm on the fence about it as well. I like the fluffy grist, but if it doesn't make much of a difference in my system with that much wheat and that little husk material, I'm not sure it's worth the time and effort. Here's a couple shots of some conditioned malt through my mill. It's amazing how intact the husks stay:

Those are much better pics than mine but it looks about the same. They are so intact they almost look unbroken from a distance. But I know some people rave about this and I just didn't get the difference. Maybe those are more hands on people who are looking to get as into a brewday as possible or maybe it really helped their systems. Either way, I'll give it another shot sometime.

it also seems to greatly decrease the amount of fine dust that is stirred into the air. I have just recently begun conditioning and for the dust factor alone will continue to do so.

Back