Malt conditioning, Awesome!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbuck

Reaction score
Just tried to conditionnate my malt. It give a great crush, I crushed at .22( yes .22 :eek: ) with my barley crusher and I have more husk than .39 .
I miss calculate my grain bill becauz I changed the weight pot during the weight but I added like 3Pounds to be sure. And it give me a resulte of 85 % efficiency, Which usualy having 75%
Could maybe have more eff but not pretty sure about the grain bill and the final worth collected, Seem to have at least 28L-30L and maybe more! Ill see that when ill keg and bottle this batch but for now, It made awesome result!

Could have crushed more finner but didnt want to, since my crushed was already nice, IDK if it will give more eff if crushed more. Will try another batch like this and see what will be my real eff, but pretty confident to get at least 80 %
The brew was a Trois pistoles clone 6 gallons batches. Which is a relaly good eff for that much grain!

yup, its 0.022 but when you conditionnate your malt its not fine as you think, I didnt believe it too

Here is a pic of malt unconditionned and conditionnated.
Did a batch yesterday ad got 83 %, its an upgrade of 8 points :)

Would it be possible to get a copy of your trois pistoles recipe? I have been wanting to brew something similar but I am still learning the fine art of recipe creation.

Here it goes,
DIdnt remember what was the hops addition for the first batches, but it was saaz in my beersmith.
I did it a second time and now the color is more the same as the real one.
More darker but my first seemed to taste almost the real one.

Add more sugar at the end to reach the grav you want to.
a pound or two may be ok, I did it last time
ANd use the canadian belgian yeast 3864 its unibroue yeast

Recipe: Trois Pistoles
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35,0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6,00 gal
Boil Size: 7,14 gal
Estimated OG: 1,076 SG
Estimated Color: 20,5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20,3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75,0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
15,00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2,0 SRM) Grain 88,4 %
0,69 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80,0 SRM) Grain 4,1 %
0,69 lb Caramunich Malt (56,0 SRM) Grain 4,1 %
0,35 lb Carafa II (412,0 SRM) Grain 2,1 %
0,25 lb Biscuit Malt (23,0 SRM) Grain 1,5 %
1,00 oz Saaz [5,50%] (60 min) Hops 13,9 IBU
0,50 oz Saaz [4,00%] (30 min) Hops 3,9 IBU
0,50 oz Saaz [4,00%] (15 min) Hops 2,5 IBU

Yup I love malt conditioning. I use a gap similar to yours, and get similar results. Worth the couple extra minutes to me.

Back