Malt choices for American IPAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EyePeeA

Reaction score
Anyone else turned off by rich, toasty, caramel, biscuity malts used in IPA grists?

I'm at the point where you can give me 90-100% American 2-row and I will be satisfied.

Rich Malt Flavor ≠ Fresh, Bright Hops

Sign me up.

There are limited substitutions for American 2-row as far as IPAs go. Pearl malt seems to be one of the few. A little more character, but not toasty, sweet, or detracting by any sense.

I like my DIPA with all base malt and some sugar. It turns out great. I just rebrewed it with a touch of c20 for color. Mostly because I had a few pounds of c20 sitting around. I am kegging it this weekend so I will report back with how well it turned out. I can say that I need to mash a bit higher. 001 took it from 19.1P to 1.5P. Whoops!

I like some biscuit-y flavor in my IPA, or I will take a 2 row. Im fine with either. What turns me off is a huge malty presence, or when the malty character starts to compete with the hops. I want my IPAs dry and hoppy. If the malt wants to let me know its there, Im ok with that, but thats as far as I like it to go.

I think we're going to get into the east coast / west coast IPA debate. I personally like a bit of malt as well ("grew up" on Victory Hop Devil) to compliment the hops. But you can't beat a west coast IPA on a hot day.

I like both. I have one recipe, similar to Surly Furious, that has a ton of crystal malt in it (relatively speaking at 11%!), and another that has 0. Both are great beers, and I couldn't choose between them as favorites.

It really depends on the hopping, what I want at that moment and even the weather. Both are awesome beers, but they are very very different. They are still American IPAs.

I definitely lean towards mostly am. 2-row (I like Rahr 2-row), just enough of something like victory to about 5.5 SRM, and 5% dextrose. Sometimes I'll add torrified wheat or some carapils to reenforce head retention.

However, I'm sympathetic to Yooper's position. I appreciate both sides of the spectrum. Although I don't make any malty IPA's, I am working on two versions of house APA's, one with little to no crystal and another with a healthy dose.

I like about 5% crystal, then I slam them with late and whirlpool hops. Just enough crystal for some color and a little sweetness to stand up to the alcohol. It really isn't noticeable, but drier would be. I add a lb of sugar in my DIPAs to keep them from getting sweet at 9-10% ABV.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I like bready maltiness and heavy on the hops IPAs.

I also like them dry and sweet and full of 'fruit.'

Currently I prefer a hefty malt backbone along with heavy hoppy citrus to balance.

My palette changes from time to time though.

I had Lagunitas Equinox (an 8% abv APA) and Port Hop 15 tonight. Both were too malty and full, especially Equinox. It brought drinkability way down. I guess it all boils down to personal preference. I enjoy 1.008-1.012 FG, sub 7 SRM, simple grist, Pacific NW hopped IPAs at 6.5 - 8.0 abv. Give me a ton of late hops, but not so much where the bitterness doesn't stand up and you're left with sweet hop juice.

IMO, rich malt character can be had for many other styles. For an IPA, it should be all about the hops, the crispness, the citrus, the pine, the dryness, the bitterness without the acrid harshness or poor aftertaste. It should be so simple, yet so many people mess it up. Proof that this style is so hard to nail down a 10/10 example despite the obvious simplicity of recipe design.

It turns out great. I just rebrewed it with a touch of c20 for color.
4p.jpg

Personally I like IPAs that use mostly 2-row with a small percent of dextrine malt, light crystal (15-20), and corn sugar to dry things out even more. I think a malt profile like this allows tropical, citrus, and floral hop flavors to shine through. Yeasts that also throw off a slightly fruity flavor tend to blend really well. I think it's a more West coast style of IPA - dry minimal malt with a nice tropical/citrus hop profile with juicy/dank/floral flavors blended in.

There are also great IPAs that go heavier on the crystal/malty side that are balanced with really dank, resinous, and piney hop flavors. My understanding is that this is a bit more of an East coast style.

East coast is usually maltier, darker, richer, and/or sweeter IPA. Not as much overall hops as a West coast example. Balanced and complex.

West coast is the opposite.... Hoppier, paler, more bitter, and unbalanced (in a good way). Usually lighter bodied, drier, and lower FG. The mantra is to keep the base simple and the yeast clean, but go crazy with the hop bill.

Sign me up.

There are limited substitutions for American 2-row as far as IPAs go. Pearl malt seems to be one of the few. A little more character, but not toasty, sweet, or detracting by any sense.

Perle is fine but I like American 2 Row Pale Ale Malt. Just a bit more flavor & color.

My personal choice for any hippy style is either Marris Otter or Golden Promise for 90-100% . If I use anything else it might be a touch of carapils, maybe some wheat, possibly some munich.

It's the best of both, you get some serious malt flavor with no sweet caramel to get in the way of the hops.

Back