Malolactic fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samc5998

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Really new to wine making and so the more I read some of these posts the harder it seems to get. I have recently read that you should always do a malolactic fermentation process on all red wines to avoid creating 'bottle bombs'

I am part way through primary fermentation with a mixed fruit wine ( strawbs, grapes, blackberrys, raspberrys)

I have a basic home brewers book but there's is no mention if this malolactic fermentation.

Can someone help put it in layman's terms for me. The last thing I need is exploding bottles in my attic in a years time.

Thank you,

Sam

MLF is commonly done on red grape wines, to lower the malic acid and change it it to the softer lactic acid (MLF).

If it's a kit, MLF is not necessary, nor will it be successful. You can prevent MLF if you want, and some winemakers do, simply by using the proper amount of sulfites in the wine and at bottling.

In fruit wines, it's generally not needed or appropriate to do MLF.

Back