Malolactic fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcat45

Reaction score
Just did my first batch of grape juice from Chile and when I went to pick up my order the person ask me if I needed yeast for the malolactic fermentation....well haveing only done kits up to this time I had no idea of what this was about....bough a tube to save me the drive back but when I got home looked it up on the net and still don't know if you should do one.....any takers on this issue most appreciated....thanks

if its red wine pitch it after the brewing yeast is finished. if its white wine i wouldnt use it...

Thanks guys for the reply....the variety is Carmenere from Chile and I did put it in after the initial fermentation was complete.....how long do I leave it before I can bottle it? Thanks again

it depends, some go faster then others, it could take up to a month for it too be complete maybe less and sometimes longer.....most wineries do it in barrels and let it age out so they usually wont touch it for atleast a year anyways

Back