Making your own fermenting bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
Has anyone here made thier own fermenter out of a clean never used paint bucket? My folks informed me that they can be had for $4 or less at Lowes, which sure beats the $15-18 at the LHBS. I just figured I could drill the apropriate sized airlock hole in the lid, mount a small bit a rubber on both sides and, bang, I've saved a bunch of money.

Has anyone here done this? and If not is there some reason this wouldn't work. I don't know if the paint buckets are food grade but to me hard white plastic is hard white plastic. I am wrong about any of this?

The only trouble with the painbuckts is that most of them are only 5 gallons. WHere as a fermentation bucket actually has a higher volume capacity, this allows for headspace and room for the krausen. Those folks I know who use homer/lowes buckets tend to use them as fermenters for between 2.5 and 4.5 gallon batches, leaving room....Some of the 5 gallon buckets can actually hols a little more, and it usually says so on the bucket something like "5 gallon mark is third band from the top of bucket" that will give you some more room.

But yeah, you can use the buckets if the are HDPE or have a <1> or <2> code on the bottom.

Awesome! I have a 5+ gallon fermenter but was wanting to start experimenting with anything from 1-3 gallon batches and was hoping to get some extra fermenters as cheap as possible so this should be perfect.

to me hard white plastic is hard white plastic. I am wrong about any of this?

yes, completely. there are many different types of plastics, and they are definately not always interchangable.

however- the buckets they sell at lowes have been used as fermentors. most are the same type of HDPE plastic as used in milk jugs. the difference between food grade HDPE and regular HDPE is the purity of the plastic.

food grade plastics are required to have lower levels of plasticizers, BPEs, and other contaminants. usually, recycled plastics are not used in food-contact applications due to increased amounts of those chemicals. cheap paint buckets are definately not food grade.

to recycle plastic, old containers are melted down into a mixture. usually its not entirely one type of plastic, but a mixture of several. recycling is not a 100% recovery rate, meaning you dont just melt down 100 bottles and make 100 new bottles out of it. there is some degredation that occurs due to many factors; sometimes the recycled material is more brittle or has less tensile stregnth than desired. in order to get the desired physical characteristics, more plasticizers or other chemicals are added (much less of these additives are needed with new, virgin plastic). these extra chemicals and plasticizers can leech out from the finished product.

if that matters to you (or anyone who drinks your beer), you might want to spend the money on something else. if you dont care- its up to you. if you were distributing your beer to the public, the FDA would care, and you would not be allowed to use them.

i wouldnt personally use non-food grade plastics if given a choice, but i also wouldnt feel uncomfortable drinking one of your beers, either. i think it would take many years of drinking lots of beer to start becoming dangerous to your health. however if given the chance to cut down on chemical exposure, its always good to err on the side of caution.

I think the cost of fermenter buckets make them a fantastic value. I'd recommend just buying one of them for fermenting and a second bucket with a spigot for bottling.

Honestly, if you can't afford the basic tools, you can't really afford to drop $35+ for a batch of beer.

If you insist on using cheap 5 gallon buckets, then consider using fermcapS or baby gas drops to prevent blow-off from lack of headspace, and you might even want to go so far as to buy some plastic liners to keep the beer away from the cheap plastic. By then, though, you may as well have spent the extra $$ on a real fermenter...

Or maybe use a cheap bucket for a bottling bucket since the contact time is so short.

I've been using these almost exclusively since June, and I love them.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=46493&catid=752
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=43954&catid=752

Totals out to around $15 after shipping. Seriously, why would you take a chance on one (or more) batches of beer to save $10? And with this, there's no drilling involved.

If you're looking to save $10, I'm guessing you're new to the hobby which means you're probably doing extract batches which typically run at least around $35 when all is said and done. Some things you can skimp on, some things you can't.

Also, the lids on those cheap buckets typically don't seal very well. The ones in the links I provided require a rubber mallet to get them on and a tool to get them off.

Back