Making wine: follow directions directly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
Hello guys I'm thinking of trying to make some wine for my wife. I've never made a wine before and was wondering if it's even feasible with my work schedule. I work away from home, on a 22 days working, 13 days off schedule. Do you guys follow directions real close with your wines? I know with my beers I just set a batch in the fermenter as soon as I start my days off. Day 10-11 I rack to secondary and leave it. When I return from work after 22 days I bottle and start another batch fermenting. I'm not too worried about numbers, as long as the beers taste great I'm happy.

Can I do this for wines too? How well will they usually clear after 3 weeks secondary without a fining agent?

I think it is possible with your schedule...you just need to rack it when the lees start to fill the bottom of the carboy up. I usually rack once after primary....the I rack 2 times after primary rack....then bottle.....And you dont need a clearing agent....have fun

I would not hesitate if I was you. If the wine is not clear when you come home just leave it until you get back home the next time. Wine can wait.

Sounds good! I'll be picking up a wine kit tomorrow. I've stopped all brewing for a month or two until I get moved into my house next month. I don't want to be moving my stuff during fermentation, so I'll be picking up as soon as I move.

Back