Making wine: follow directions directly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Antler

Reaction score
Hello guys I'm thinking of trying to make some wine for my wife. I've never made a wine before and was wondering if it's even feasible with my work schedule. I work away from home, on a 22 days working, 13 days off schedule. Do you guys follow directions real close with your wines? I know with my beers I just set a batch in the fermenter as soon as I start my days off. Day 10-11 I rack to secondary and leave it. When I return from work after 22 days I bottle and start another batch fermenting. I'm not too worried about numbers, as long as the beers taste great I'm happy.

Can I do this for wines too? How well will they usually clear after 3 weeks secondary without a fining agent?

Honda88

Reaction score
I think it is possible with your schedule...you just need to rack it when the lees start to fill the bottom of the carboy up. I usually rack once after primary....the I rack 2 times after primary rack....then bottle.....And you dont need a clearing agent....have fun

BrewerBear

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I would not hesitate if I was you. If the wine is not clear when you come home just leave it until you get back home the next time. Wine can wait.

OP
A

Antler

Reaction score
Sounds good! I'll be picking up a wine kit tomorrow. I've stopped all brewing for a month or two until I get moved into my house next month. I don't want to be moving my stuff during fermentation, so I'll be picking up as soon as I move.