Making wart on a glass flat stovetop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone out there boil on a glass flat top stove? Can I brew 3-4 gallons on it without breaking it?

I did 4 extracts 2 partial mash and finished off an all grain boil (5 gallons that time) before moving outside.

I didn't have a problem, either with the wort or getting a boil. But don't come looking for me if you bust your cooktop.

A long time ago I would brew on my ceramic cooktop....until I had a boil over. Talk about a PITA to clean!! My advice is buy a cheap turkey fryer and move your operation outside.

3-4 gallons is nothing. They can support a lot more weight. The only problem is that it takes forever to bring a batch to boil. The advantage is that they are much easier to clean in the event of a boil-over. Sometimes I'll boil my strike water on the stove to save on propane and I used to do extract batches on it, so it is definitely doable. Another good thing about glass stove-tops is that you can slide your kettle off the burner to reduce heat quickly, without having to lift it up...very useful to control the heat!

I do full boils on my glass cooktop. 6.5 gallons regularly. It does take some time to bring that volume to a boil (about 30 minutes).

Thank you all, brewed 5 gallons no problem at all. Been brewing for a few years know and still have never had a boil over

Back