Making vinegar with not great cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
Not sure where else to post this. Hopefully someone has some experience (purposely) making vinegar.

I have a batch of not particularly great cider that I made a few years ago. I've been storing it in my cellar hoping more time will make it come around, but it has remained pretty mediocre. Would it be ok to use this to make apple cider vinegar? Will it turn out well? Or is it a case o quality in = quality out?

probably make great vinegar, i have made it twice from mistake/experimental batches, one of which was essentially undrinkable, and the vinegar tastes like ... vinegar!
i pour it into a glass or jug, then pour back and forth between two jugs from high up so it splashes and aerates, and gets rid of any carbonation, do this a bunch of times. rubber band some cheesecloth on the top, repeat the aeration every so often when you think of it, give it 6 weeks, boom- vinegar!

Add a tabkespoon or three of unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar... The kind with the gross stuff settled in the bottom. Give the jar a shake, add a bit to your cider. You are basically innoculating it with a tiny mother of vinegar. Start small though... Maybe just do about 2 cups at first to avoid stressing the acetobacter. Once it is done and the mother falls to the bottom, add more on top and build it up.

Well, I went ahead and poured a couple bottles of the cider into a clay jug and whisked the hell out of it. I then added the dregs of our almost-gone all natural cider vinegar (Mrs Bragg's) and covered it with cheesecloth. Guess time will tell if this particular cider makes good vinegar.

Back