Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Davedrinksbeer

Reaction score
I just drank some of the clear stuff on the rocks, squeeze of lime, dash of bitters, just a hint of simple. Dangerously smooth.
I made a huge batch one time for my friends and it came out deliciously smooth and sweet, needless to say we were trying it out while playing poker one night and 2 of them ended up sleeping on my couch. 🤣🤣

Attachments

wongjau

Reaction score
I made a huge batch one time for my friends and it came out deliciously smooth and sweet, needless to say we were trying it out while playing poker one night and 2 of them ended up sleeping on my couch. 🤣🤣
The owner of the local homebrew store used to call that type of alcohol “panty melter”.

But that was back in the 90’s when things were less PC. I had just brought him some of my hard cider to try.

Time2Retire

Reaction score
Well, I was going to wait on making some more until the weather cooled down, but let's say there's a sudden, ahem, shortage.

Has anyone tried the "black Japonica rice" that Lundberg sells? I was thinking of going half and half with the glutinous kind.

wongjau

Reaction score
Well, I was going to wait on making some more until the weather cooled down, but let's say there's a sudden, ahem, shortage.

Has anyone tried the "black Japonica rice" that Lundberg sells? I was thinking of going half and half with the glutinous kind.
That’s a mixture of short grain glutinous black rice and medium grain mahogany rice. Medium and long grain rice don’t give a good yield compared to short grain glutinous rice.

You could use the rice and go with the lower yield, or sift out the medium grain and just use the black rice.

Best would be just to get 100% black glutinous rice from an asian market to ferment and don’t even bother mixing with regular glutinous rice.

Here’s a research article on the biochemistry of traditional black glutinous rice wine fermentation.

The article includes a short description of the fermentation procedure used.

Using all black glutinous rice as in the traditional process would be best to take advantage of its particular flavor profile.

Time2Retire

Reaction score
My latest batch begins. One kilo sweet rice, two yeast pills, one tablespoon RYR powdered. I was a little nervous because the rice seemed dry, but Day 3, the liquid is forming and it smells the way it should.

We shall see.

UPDATE: Day 10, the liquid is already over the rice and we have a couple of rice rafts. The RYR is propagating through the white spots, and along with the usual vanilla-spice there is a note of cherry-like aroma.

20210903_123955.jpg

Last edited:

Miraculix

Reaction score
My last batch turned out well! This stuff is really sweet, a bit sour in a nice way and has a huge punch. I made it with additional red yeast rice, next batch will be without, just to be able to compare. A Chinese friend sent me some Hakka chicken recipes, which is basically ginger, chicken and rice wine boiled till tender. It sounds great, will try it on the weekend.

And as a nice by-product, through all the stuff I learned here, I was able to recreate an authentic Nepalese/Tibetan Chang for the first time. The main problem was the water/grain ratio. I used too much water. Now it's not sour anymore! Just a little bit, in a nice way.

Last edited:

wongjau

Reaction score
My last batch turned out well! This stuff is really sweet, a bit sour in a nice way and has a huge punch. I made it with additional red yeast rice, next batch will be without, just to be able to compare. A Chinese friend sent me some Hakka chicken recipes, which is basically ginger, chicken and rice wine boiled till tender. It sounds great, will try it on the weekend.
Since you used the red yeast rice, you can make Fuzhou style red chicken.

You strain and save the leftover rice to use for cooking. You can use it to make the red colored Chinese bbq pork too.

Miraculix

Reaction score
Since you used the red yeast rice, you can make Fuzhou style red chicken.

You strain and save the leftover rice to use for cooking. You can use it to make the red colored Chinese bbq pork too.
Nooooooooo I threw the leftovers away! I won't do it again!!!

Now I have to make a new batch asap. Luckily, I bought enough rice two days ago :).

Edit: the chicken recipe sounds delicious. How much red rice is used in an authentic red rice wine? I only used a few teaspoons on one kg of rice. The result is not really red but more of a pinkish colour.

wongjau

Reaction score
Nooooooooo I threw the leftovers away! I won't do it again!!!

Now I have to make a new batch asap. Luckily, I bought enough rice two days ago :).

Edit: the chicken recipe sounds delicious. How much red rice is used in an authentic red rice wine? I only used a few teaspoons on one kg of rice. The result is not really red but more of a pinkish colour.
Recipes for red yeast rice wine vary, but standard is 80g red yeast rice to 1 kg glutinous rice, in addition to the regular yeast balls.

After the wine is done, save the rice in a jar in the fridge and you can use it for various recipes.

I actually used some to make red fermented bean curd which is a kind of special ingredient in some recipes. Fermented bean curd is another whole level of crazy, but interesting if you are into making cheese and the like.

Miraculix

Reaction score
Recipes for red yeast rice wine vary, but standard is 80g red yeast rice to 1 kg glutinous rice, in addition to the regular yeast balls.

After the wine is done, save the rice in a jar in the fridge and you can use it for various recipes.

I actually used some to make red fermented bean curd which is a kind of special ingredient in some recipes. Fermented bean curd is another whole level of crazy, but interesting if you are into making cheese and the like.
uhhhhh
Tell me more! Where can I get information and recipes of the red bean curd?

wongjau

Reaction score
You can follow this one to get an idea.

She also does a red rice wine, but I like less water than she uses.

If you really get into it, there are Chinese documentaries on Youtube about historic methods for fermented bean curd. Also, the food science and engineering text I referenced earlier has a section on it.

It’s uncommon to do at home. It’s almost like a lost skill. Like making soy sauce. Pretty much everybody buys it at the store.

I like the white fermented chili bean curd better, but some recipes use red.

Here’s a pic of both types I made.

53BE4E9B-B383-4EA4-93A4-885F9CADEA20.jpeg

If you buy the chili type, I like this brand the best.

Buy at the Asian market. Amazon price is ridiculous.

Miraculix

Reaction score
You can follow this one to get an idea.

She also does a red rice wine, but I like less water than she uses.

If you really get into it, there are Chinese documentaries on Youtube about historic methods for fermented bean curd. Also, the food science and engineering text I referenced earlier has a section on it.

It’s uncommon to do at home. It’s almost like a lost skill. Like making soy sauce. Pretty much everybody buys it at the store.

I like the white fermented chili bean curd better, but some recipes use red.

Here’s a pic of both types I made.

View attachment 742615

If you buy the chili type, I like this brand the best.

Buy at the Asian market. Amazon price is ridiculous.
Brilliant, thanks!

Time2Retire

Reaction score
Well I think I may have had my first bad batch.

All sweet rice with a tablespoon of RYR, two yeast pills. At 23 days there is very little liquid and the mixture is VERY sweet. Since it's a total loss at this point, I threw in half a cup of water, and proofed half a package of Lalvin 212 I found in my refrigerator. At least I get to see if it's possible to kickstart this stuff.

UPDATE: A day after adding the wine yeast and moving to a smaller container, I'm pleased to report I'm seeing activity, and the rice is starting to float again. I'm wondering if the RYR is somehow competing with the yeast in the balls.

Last edited:

Time2Retire

Reaction score
I'm unhappy with that batch. After rescue, I got exactly 1.1 liters, and it's very sweet. I pasteurized the liter and now it's cold crashing, but I'm not expecting much.

I have three batches going now.

A kilo each of glutinous rice and jasmine rice, no RYR.

A kilo of calrose, with RYR.

A kilo without.

I'll start seeing results toward the end of my vacation, three weeks hence.

Miraculix

Reaction score
I'm unhappy with that batch. After rescue, I got exactly 1.1 liters, and it's very sweet. I pasteurized the liter and now it's cold crashing, but I'm not expecting much.

I have three batches going now.

A kilo each of glutinous rice and jasmine rice, no RYR.

A kilo of calrose, with RYR.

A kilo without.

I'll start seeing results toward the end of my vacation, three weeks hence.
The "red yeast rice" is actually not red yeast but red mold. The naming is just wrong, so there's no competition between the red and the yeasts from the balls (sounds very wrong to me :D).

Time2Retire

Reaction score
The "red yeast rice" is actually not red yeast but red mold. The naming is just wrong, so there's no competition between the red and the yeasts from the balls (sounds very wrong to me :D).
All I know is, I seem to get a higher yield without the RYR. My 50/50 jasmine/glutinous is having a yeast party.