Making the leap!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jah

Reaction score
I know to most out there it probably isn't that big of a deal, but I am getting ready for my first mini-mash batch tonight! Only brewing from extract kits prior. Can anyone think of anything i might need to remeber to make this a successfull leap in the right direction?

That sounds great! Right now I can't think of tips for you, aside from keeping your temperature steady for the entire mash. Just remember if you have any questions, come running to HBT for some help. :D

have plenty of water ready - and have it ready at the required temperature well ahead of time! other than that, it's easy. and the beer tastes better than extract or extract+steep (at least that's my experience!)

even though it is just a mini-mash kit do you think i need to use a starter or can i just pitch the yeast (White Labs Belgian Abbey Ale WLP530) like i did with the extract kits

Well, I'm a big believer in starters for all beers, extract or AG, when I use liquid yeast. However, if you haven't already made the starter you might as well just pitch it!

if it means my beer turning out much better I might just postpone so i have time to get a starter ready.

What is the planned OG of the beer, and what is the "best by" date on the yeast? If it's a low OG beer, and the yeast is fresh, you'd probably be fine.

im at work right now. i will have to check when i get home. i just recieved the shipment from austin homebrew last night and it shipped overnight.

YooperBrew said:
What is the planned OG of the beer, and what is the "best by" date on the yeast? If it's a low OG beer, and the yeast is fresh, you'd probably be fine.
best before date 03/08 and the og should be 1.075

That's a pretty high OG. I would make a starter. If you decide not to, the fermentation will probably not take off as fast as it could. This is not a big deal, but like the Yooper, us Michiganders like using starters.

Revvy said:
What's your recipe? Whatcha making?

Good luck!
i am making a leffe blonde clone... will post recipe for those that care as soon as i get the wort in the primary:mug:

Back