Making the jump from Mr Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcJWaters

Reaction score
So, I am looking to replace my Mr Beer kit for something a little bit more dignified and worth my time.

I found this at the reccomendation of a friend:

Professional Grade?

It looks to have everything I need - but I wanted to see and confer with the experts (all of you) whether or not this is a sound investment. Please let me know. Thanks!

Look on Midwest Supply (that is where I got mine), they have a bunch of different equipment kits that are all way better priced. Also look into Austin Homebrew Supply, and Northern Brewer. They should all have similar kits at better prices (and flat rate shipping).

I would try to find a local restaurant supply to get a kettle

Yeah, I'd keep looking also. Getting a full boil on a stove top is often not easy, fun, or quick. Most electric or ceramic tops won't work too well (In my experience, others have had luck with insulating their pots). You'll need a decent gas stove, or a turkey fryer.

I'd look at getting a basic setup for around $80-100,
Wort chiller for $50-60,
and a propane turkey fryer that will come with a 30 or 34 quart pot for $50.
You'll need a propane tank, but if you have a grill, you can use that tank.

However you decide to go, welcome to the obsession.

Scan Craigslist for set ups from people leaving the hobby or people who just need the cash. I just saw a great bargain the other day for 325 that was large enough to do 30 gallon batches.

Back