Making "Soda Foam"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfk52917

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and new to soda making in general. I was inspired to make soda syrup by the 1909 edition of Rigby's Reliable Candy Maker, and it contains a recipe for "soda foam," which reads as follows -

8 ounces soap bark chips

Place them in 1 gallon of boiling water, let stand for three hours, then place 3 ounces gum arabic in this; let it stand for 48 hours; strain through fine sieve, and it is ready for use. Use about 1/4 ounces of this foam to a gallon of syrup.

Now I think this must be quillaja, but I don't really have ready access to quillaja trees or bark, and the cost of quillaja powder online seems a little high. Does anyone have any experience with this? And does anyone have recommendations for this, perhaps using yucca powder instead? I would like to preserve this part of the recipe, even if it's only to give a "foamy" feel to syrup.

Back