Making my first mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KENZ

Reaction score
I made my first mead Sunday night. Here is the recipe
5 Gallons Apple Cider
5# Clover Honey
1# Brown Sugar
1# Corn Sugar
1oz Nutmeg
I added 1 tsp of yeast nutrient and another 2 tsp at 24 and the airlock is still not bubbling. Should I be concerned?

I have read about aerating, but did not do that. I made 2 different batches of hard apple cider at the same time and they are bubbling away, but with different yeasts

Okay, some other things come to mind. I’m assuming the apple juice you used is free of preservatives, and the yeast is vital, and the temp is in a good range for the yeast. That leaves a possibility of leaky seal on the fermentor as the issue. Are you swirling to release CO2? Have you taken a gravity reading? That will be the true measure of what is happening regarding fermentation.

Okay, some other things come to mind. I’m assuming the apple juice you used is free of preservatives, and the yeast is vital, and the temp is in a good range for the yeast. That leaves a possibility of leaky seal on the fermentor as the issue. Are you swirling to release CO2? Have you taken a gravity reading? That will be the true measure of what is happening regarding fermentation.
The apple juice was fresh from my orchard. I had the carboy in my laundry room which is about 62 degrees. I moved it last night close to my fireplace and tonight it is bubbling very slowly, but atleast started. When you talk about swirling do you mean pull the airlock and swirl? I do have an attachment for a drill to degas wine? Should I add more yeast nutrient. I am thinking pretty soon I will move back to cooler temps as 62 is within the range of 71B?

I’m glad it got going, when I swirl I leave the airlock in, and I swirl to be gentle and avoid oxidation, but you could use the whip. I probably wouldn’t give more nutrients until you are in your last third of fermentation. You can always check TONSA to be sure of the best practice.

I’m glad it got going, when I swirl I leave the airlock in, and I swirl to be gentle and avoid oxidation, but you could use the whip. I probably wouldn’t give more nutrients until you are in your last third of fermentation. You can always check TONSA to be sure of the best practice.
In doing some reading it looks like I should be degassing every other day for the first week. Also I do not have any Go Ferm just Diammonium Phosphate. Will this be alright?

It looks to me like your starting gravity (OG) is / was somewhere near 1.100,. 71B yeast should be able to handle that. But without proper aeration early on and nutrients it could lag a bit at the start. In essence it will take a bit for the yeast to acclimate and grow enough of a colony to start the process. Moving it to a sligtly warmer area is a good idea and definately will help.

Bubbles from an airlock as @Hoppy2bmerry suggested is not a good indication of how your cyser is progressing. I would encourage you to get a hydrometer if you do not have one. That is the best way to determine how well your ferment is progressing.

DAP is a good nutrient and your apple juice carries some of its own as well.
Go-Ferm really is designed to "kickstart" the yeast at pitch or pre-pitch when creating a starter. Depending on where your ferment is additional nutrient may or may not help.

Consider getting some Fermaid-O and adding it if early enough in the process. Yeast struggle or literally can not take up additional nutrirents after your cyser is at about 9% alcohol by volume (ABV.) If yours goes completely dry (1.000) from 1.100 you are looking at about 13.1 ABV.

Also as suggedted stirring to release CO2 and get whatever yeast have settled out back into suspension is a good idea but again only early in the ferment. Swirling at any time with the airlock in place is ok.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out and what you did.

Back