Making LME More Fermentable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLo

Reaction score
I’ve got some amylase enzyme from Midwest Supplies and some alpha-galactosidase (Beano). If I wanted to make some Munich LME more fermentable, I was considering placing the LME into the brew kettle, heat to 147F, add some amylase enzyme. Would this in any way increase the fermentability of the wort?

I regularly get to 1.010 on all of my LME. It is all I use. On one beer I got down to 1.008 with nottingham dry yeast.

Yes, it'll work. You can also mash extract along with grain (those containing diastatic power) and achieve the similar results. I would hypothesize that an actual mash would yield more controllable results.

I think it has to do with where the malts come from at the LHBS you get them from. I think some aren't as good as others. They seem to have more UN-fermentables in them. I use Munton's DME's & Cooper's LME's. I get them from as much as 1.050 down to 1.009 & 1.010 time & again. Good head too.

I’m looking to do a big doppelbock @ 1.111 and I’m concerned that if I don’t get the wort fermentable enough that it won’t attenuate down to 1.020 where I want it to finish. I’m just looking for crazy options and the to do bench testing from there.

BTW - I swear I searched for over an hour and ultimately posted the exact same thread as somebody else..... And yes I used the search tool.....

I've been reading my way through Chris White's Yeast, and his advise on such high gravity brews is to (1) definitely size your pitch accordingly, (2) oxygenate well, and (3) re-oxygenate to between 7 and 12 ppm 12 to 18 hours after pitching...

That last part was a surprise to me, but the guy knows yeast...

Cheers!

Agreed these little warriors will need some cover fire to make it to the end of their journey.

Latest posts

Back