Making hard seltzer/soda with vodka/liquor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Hiccup*

Reaction score
I am looking for an easy way to add a hard seltzer/soda to a keezer, but don't want to create the alcohol myself. Can I make a hard seltzer/soda by simply adding water, vodka/liquor, flavoring and C02? I understand and have ready up on the process of carbonating the mixture. My question/concern is: will the alcohol stay mixed enough for each serving to be balanced? The keg will be stored and consumed over several weeks. Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

If there is a resource for any recipes, thanks for that too.

Yes, you can do just that and it will not separate over time. The issue is finding a decently priced alcohol base that does not impart much flavor and a good flavoring that covers the base. I've done this with GNS and mid-shelf vodka and they both work well with stronger flavors; even mixing cheap ice tea or lemonade mix works well, if that's what you like. Just be mindful of sanitation/pH. Bottled spring water is ideal.

0.50 gallon of 80 proof vodka in 4.5 gallons of water will yield 4.0% ABV.
0.25 gallon of 190 proof GNS/Everclear in 4.75 gal water yields 4.75% ABV.

I was talking to a ...don't recall the title.. related to running the drink & gas lines at a bar just the other day. He gave me a tip I found interesting for kegged cocktails like what's being described here. And that is to add a dip tube to the gas in port. This means that the co2 (or whatever you are using for gas) will cause some mixing.

I haven't done this recently, but did put gas through the longer "liquid" side before for purposes I don't quite remember any more.

By my calculations, you will need 3.5x 5ths of vodka added to 640oz of carbonated water to achieve ~ 5.5% ABV. Thats kinda pricey for just 5 gallons. I wanted to go this route at first for the instant gratification and simplicity until I realized the cost. 16.5 lbs sugar (for 15 gallons), water and 4 packets of yeast, a little time = far far far cheaper Flavoring extracts are 10cc per 5 gallon keg

I am trying this now - 1.75 gallons of water, .25 gallons of vodka, 4oz of watermelon extract flavor. Hooking it up to CO2 tomorrow.

By my calculations, you will need 3.5x 5ths of vodka added to 640oz of carbonated water to achieve ~ 5.5% ABV. Thats kinda pricey for just 5 gallons. I wanted to go this route at first for the instant gratification and simplicity until I realized the cost. 16.5 lbs sugar (for 15 gallons), water and 4 packets of yeast, a little time = far far far cheaper Flavoring extracts are 10cc per 5 gallon keg

You can typically get 1.75L bottles of vodka for around $20. If you dumped a 1.75L bottle of vodka in to a 5 gallon keg and mixed in 4.5 gallons of water, that would give you 3.8% ABV. Figuring that a 5 gallon keg has about 55 servings in it, that's .36 cents per serving. That's pretty economical in my opinion.

Considering the cost associated with sugar and yeast, plus fermentation time and that your product will be cloudy... I'd stick with alcohol.

Back