Making hard cider.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david911

Reaction score
Can some one help me ? I am new to making hard cider. This my second attempt in making hard cider I have followed all procedures five gallons of 100 per cent apple juice no preservatives but it was pasteurized I added 5 pounds of sugar and added two packets of champagne yeast. But nothing happens it does not forment can you help me this is six gallons of apple juice with no results

Its usually one of the following: Sorbate in the juice despite what they tell you, temperature not warm enough, yeast was bad, or its a slow starter. I've had it take up to a week +.

Hmm, what brands of juice and yeast are you using? What's the room temp where you're fermenting (also, the juice temp when you added the yeast, if it was different)? Did you do a yeast starter/test? Did you pasteurize or did you buy it that way?

David 911 hey guys or girls quite laughing at me. I got this apt to get your advice a good friend informed me about this apt. I am a novice and trying to create a hobby for myself. I'm about ready to retire from the marine corp and when I get old and start depending on my social security. I would like to be able to make me some brew to drank.So what I did is I went and bought me a wine making kit for $ 107.00 which I'm going to catch hell for that when my wife see the credit card bill. Then bought six gallons apple juice in which she screamed why I Needed all the apple juice for in which later she decides that she would like a glass of fresh apple juice which no longer exist. I had problem explaining. I don't give up I go to Walmart and purchase five gallons apple juice and bring it home with five pound of sugar open each bottle dump a little bit in the bucket after I sterilize the bucket put the sugar in the bottles and shake it up to get sugar mixed with apple juice. I then put two packets of champagne yesterday and put in the closet. I then check it and nothing is happening. This morning I put in two more packets of yeast. I am about ready to give up and I'm not going to which y-tube any more. I really hope you guys and girls have a big laughter about this I guess I not a fine consumer of hard cider thank you Dave.

Hey hey now Dave plenty of people are super helpful on this forum/app and will help you! Do as they say and they might save your cider. Wish I could help but I've only done beer thus far. List your ingredients and full process and I'm sure they can help

Five pounds sugar in five gallons of juice is not too bad, most apple juice comes in at 1.030, approx 2.36 cups granulated sugar per pound will provide 0.047 approx in fermentable for an OG of around 1.077, 10% ACV (If juice was 1.030), will be apple wine. The champagne yeast will be kicking in any time now, it can honestly take 72 hours before you may visibly notice a change. Watch for fine bubbles gathering along edges of container, or you may hear a fine pop sizzle if you listen closely. Believe it or not, we have all been there in some form or fashion. You will look back on your first adventure in winemaking and laugh. Avoid YouTube for a while unless it is to view racking technique, hydrometer use.

I add 1 cup or 1 pound of sugar per gal.

It doesn't make jet fuel.

I did about 1.5-2 pounds of dextrose per gallon worked perfect

All you folks I won't to thank you for help. My hard cider came out great doesn't taste that bad but does have kick to it maybe to much alcohol I'm going try another batch

Back