Making hard cider with Lacto

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newsman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used Lacto to ferment hard cider? If so, how did it turn out? Would you recommend adding something like Nottingham or Champagne yeast as well, and if so, when, before or after?

I used the L. delbrueckii (homofermenter) plus US-05 in a batch, and L. brevis and L. planitarum in a batch.

The Lacto+yeast batch had more pronounced flavors (sharp acidity, sharp apple flavors, like the sour-apple artificial flavoring), higher ABV, and needed less aging time. This batch required separate pitching for each type; warm and degassed for lacto, then cooled and aerated for yeast.

The mixed Lacto batch was very complex with a mixture of lactic and acetic acid up front, mellow apple flavor in the middle, and a dry finish. This batch needed a year, minimum, to be drinkable, and I still have some waiting around after 2 years. I did not degas and did not aerate this batch (so low oxy levels probably), maintained at ~75F until FG, then bottled.

I will be making others, mostly using single pitches of specific strains, and blending. I probably won't use L. planitarum again, as it can convert lactic acid to acetic acid over time.

Thanks for the reply. I have a vial of Delbruckii that I got for a Berlinerweisse that I want to make eventually, but since that's more of a summer beer, I thought I might use it to make some cider. I'll pick up a vial of US05. What order did you pitch? I'm assuming Lacto first and then the US05? Either way, what was the order and what was the time between the pitches?

Cool. Thanks. May try that. :) I'm thinking of starting another batch soon. Would you add the corn sugar first (2#) or wait until after the after the Lacto has processed the sugar in the cider?

Latest posts

Back