Making half batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cos

Reaction score
I'm wanting to make a 5 gal. batch and split into 2 fermenters to try 2 different kinds of yeast.

That means I'll end up with 2.5 gal of brew in a 5 gal carboy for each batch.

Does all that air space create a problem, any off flavors, etc?
If it's an ale, it'll be 1 week in the carboy (secondary).
Lager would be 3-5 weeks (secondary and lagering).

If it was an ale, I wouldn't put it in a secondary. There are no real benefits (unless you want to age it in there), and keeping it in the primary means you won't expose the beer to any O2 once fermentation begins (it will all get consumed and/or pushed out by the time fermentation gets rolling). So from that perspective, no problem putting 2.5 gals in a 5 gal carboy.

I have heard of people skipping the secondaries with lagers as well, and having great success. But I have no experience there -- best to see what others think.

I would not recommend skiping the "secondary" for a lager, because the secondary storage is the lagering period. As for ales, I wouldn't use a bright tank (secondary).

As for ales, I wouldn't use a bright tank (secondary).
I see that a lot, here. I've always planned around the 1-2-3 method but some 'a this and some 'a that kept me from having time to move my porter (below) so it has been in the primary for three weeks. I may just bottle the sucker tomorrow.

Rick

Skipping secondary for a lager is ok, but you can't skip the lagering phase which is normally 3-4 weeks around 34 deg. I'm afraid the air will contaminate the beer.

could always invest in a couple smaller carboys.

i have two 2.5gal carboys, a 3 gal, and two 5's.

SWMBO says I create clutter...

Back