Making cooking wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett_Bellmore

Me and my better half.
Reaction score
Anybody here making wine specifically for cooking with? My mother used to make this plum liquor just for stew, but that wasn't fermented, just plums, sugar cubes, and vodka. Made for some fantastic beef stew, though.

I'm wondering if I could make a good wine for cooking with, that incorporates my usual mix of herbs such as rosemary and pepercorns, and is intended just for using in cooking, not drinking. Probably starting from plums, since that would bring that "just like mother used to make" taste to the table.

I did, but now I just use regular wine for cooking. I made a garlic onion marinade wine, and it was good but now I just use wines like dandelion wine for chicken picatta and no longer bother with special cooking wines.

I'm with Yooper on this one, fer sure. I got several cases of small 375ml bottles, when I'm bottling I just get some of those and fill em up. Generally have 8-12 of red and white, when we're cooking just grab one and go. I've always got airlock vodka around also, that can brighten a tomato sauce when desired.

Back