making an IPA looking for critique on Hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewguy82

Reaction score
2.5 gallon batch size

so grain bill is 4lb 2row
4oz carapils
5oz rye
5oz crystal 40l

for hops I was thinking:

60min .50z either sorachi ace (11.6%) or amarillo (9.3%)...which would be good for bittering. 1st IPA im making. Dont know if I want it super bitter so maybe the wife can drink some?? Opinions...

30min .2oz amarillo
20min .2oz cascade
10min .2oz cascade
5min .2oz sorachi ace/ .2oz amarillo
0min .2oz amarillo

dry hop secondary .3, .3, .3 oz each amarillo, cascade, sorachi ace

lemme know what you think? cheers:drunk:

open ended questions will get you lots (or no) answers. What are you going for? Thick and sweet? Thin and dry? Bitter bomb or easy drinker and heavy on the nose? What flavor profile or commercial available beer (or cross of beers) do you want it to kind of be like?

I would save the amarillo for the late additions, but that's just me. Also, I would go with a 60, 15, 10, 5, 2, dry hop schedule.

For something heavy on the nose I wouldn't start adding hops (minus the 60 minute addition) until 15 minutes left in the boil. Also, I'd probably bump up the amount from .2 oz to .5 oz. Late additions in my IPAs are 1 oz minimum each for my 5 gallon batches (usually about 4-6 oz in the last 15 minutes, not including the dry hop), but I do love hops.

which of the three would you say makes a good bittering hop?

I've brewed with Amarillo and Sorachi before, but not Cascade (three brews under my belt). Amarillo as in my pale ale and Sorachi is in my new Hefe. But I will say, I love the smell of Amarillo. I would pound your IPA with Amarillo in the dry hops, because the aroma is just fantastic.

Also, nice to see you're from the Granite State -- same here. I'll be following your blog!

I would save the amarillo for the late additions, but that's just me. Also, I would go with a 60, 15, 10, 5, 2, dry hop schedule.

This is exactly my schedule for IPAs. I do all 1 oz additions except the dry hop, which is 2. And I usually bitter with Columbus, great bang for the buck.

Just brewed this baby today Made some changes...and changed the Hop Schedule as well.

Back