making a yeast starter for another day...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

If my thinking is correct, I should not have any issues, however I thought I would through this out there to get others thoughts.

my plan:

I have some wy1098 yeast coming in to do a Goose Island IPA clone. I am thinking of doing a 1.5L starter and then splitting it up into 2 jars, one being 1L and the other at .5L. the .5L will be used in the future to do another 1.5L starter(that way I only have the DME flavors only) Temp ranges on this yeast goes down to 64F. Which is what my basement temp stays. To stay on topic, I am thinking with the 1L Jar, I should be able to pull it out of the fridge, warm it up to room temp (64F) and pitch it with no issues, within 2 weeks?

Is my thinking correct?

thanks

To stay on topic, I am thinking with the 1L Jar, I should be able to pull it out of the fridge, warm it up to room temp (64F) and pitch it with no issues, within 2 weeks?

Ideally, you should make the starter closer to your brew day. Any reason you have to do it 2 weeks ahead?

Regardless, if it's going to spend any time in the fridge, take the opportunity to decant the spent wort before you pitch the yeast.

Ideally, you should make the starter closer to your brew day. Any reason you have to do it 2 weeks ahead?

Regardless, if it's going to spend any time in the fridge, take the opportunity to decant the spent wort before you pitch the yeast.
I was just thinking of getting a starter going, so that I would have time. Due to the work load of home(outside work), and working days, i'm limited to brewing on rainy days.

What is the benefit of decanting, other than saving space?

What is the benefit of decanting, other than saving space?

When you decant, you're adding (mostly) yeast to your beer wort. When you don't decant, you're adding mostly spent wort/beer. Assuming a 5 gallon batch, the liquid from a 1 liter non-decanted starter will be about 9% of your beer's volume. (Did you account for 9% DME (oxidized!) in your recipe?)

When you decant, you're adding (mostly) yeast to your beer wort. When you don't decant, you're adding mostly spent wort/beer. Assuming a 5 gallon batch, the liquid from a 1 liter non-decanted starter will be about 9% of your beer's volume. (Did you account for 9% DME (oxidized!) in your recipe?)

didn't even think about oxidation... Thank You.

edit:

would it be best to decant after I cold crash it? in which there would be the excess head space, or would it be best to leave it be, decant the use the yeast?

Last edited:
fwiw, I use almost exclusively ranched yeast, and on brew day mornings I take the jars out of the fridge, immediately pour off excess starter wort, then let the rest warm up to pitching temperature while I brew the batch...

Cheers!

Back