making a suedo torpedo, how to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am curious if anyone has used a pump or something else to essentially transfer beer in and out of the fermenter while sending it through some hops on the outside of the fermenter?

I see morebeer sells a variable speed pump that seems like it would do the job and then use something like a standard 10" water filter to put the hops in and keep them out of the fermentor.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/8124//Variable_Speed_Diaphragm_Pump_0-3_GPM

The forum thread I found talked about bubbling and inevitable oxidation but I am curious if anyone has done this.

I would love to get more aroma and a quicker dry hop this way.

I would use CO2 and push from keg to keg with the hop-trap in between.

only problem is if I do a 10 gallon batch like I would ferment in my 15G corny, that wouldn't all fit in a 5G corny.

That being said, I could transfer from fermentor to keg and then do that. That would be a manual way and have to watch the process but still a good idea.

I torpedo all of my hoppy ales now. I use a march pump and a whole
house water filter (Fleet Farm $15). I started with a Hop Rocket, but the whole house filter allows more hops to fit inside. The clear housing allows me to see how the whole hops clear (filter) the beer. I use a keg to push star san through first, then purge with co2. I generally use 2 to 8 ounces of hops and recirculate for 2 days. I have tried ALL of the other flavor and late hop techniques and NONE come close (for me) to what torpedoing does for my beer.

I torpedo all of my hoppy ales now. I use a march pump and a whole
house water filter (Fleet Farm $15). I started with a Hop Rocket, but the whole house filter allows more hops to fit inside. The clear housing allows me to see how the whole hops clear (filter) the beer. I use a keg to push star san through first, then purge with co2. I generally use 2 to 8 ounces of hops and recirculate for 2 days. I have tried ALL of the other flavor and late hop techniques and NONE come close (for me) to what torpedoing does for my beer.

I'd be interested in seeing a build thread on this, or a detailed description of your setup. I prefer to use pellet hops for cold side/dry hopping, but may try my hop rocket on a smaller batch for a comparison of the two methods.

Back