Making a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henson

Reaction score
I currently have a batch of brown ale in the fermenter and ready to be kegged. It's still on the the yeast cake. I'm planning to make a big Scottish ale in about a week. Can anyone walk me through the steps to make a yeast starter?

are you going to use the same yeast strain? if so then you just made a giant starter!! reuse the cake from the brown ale.

Yes. I'd like to use the strain from the brown ale. How do I go about harvesting it?

Yes. I guess that's right. I'm still fairly new at brewing

the pitching rate calculator on mrmalty.com has a setting to estimate how much of that yeast cake slurry you need. on his podcast the author of said calculator said for an average (non-rinsed) slurry just use the slider settings (yeast density, non-yeast%) where they are, and plug in your volume, gravity, date. you may want to find the appropriate episode of brewstrong on itunes or the brewing network and give it a listen. then again, you may not, depends how much you like dick jokes

Back