Making a starter...how do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mossratt263

Reaction score
So im told this makes quite a bit difference. I have made atleast a dozen batches and have never done it. Would anyone be so kind as to give me the play by play for instructions on how to do this? Much appreciated.

Also... looking to make a hefeweizen. Suggestions on yeast? Right now I was planning on wlp300. Thanks again gentlemen.

That article had some comments saying less than a 1L starter doesn't have enough oxygen or whatever to make it worthwhile... is that true?! Can anyone confirm that?

I made a 500mL starter last night (Wyeast Irish Ale), hoping to chill it tonight. I know it's not "ruined"... but should I have done something better?

I do 10 grams of DME to every 100 milliliters of water. I boil that mixture for 10-15 minutes with my stir bar then cool in my sink in which I've made a ice bath.

Oh, and once it's cool, I add 2-3 drops of olive oil and shake well before pitching my yeast.

Back