Making a Less Hoppy IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennis0

Reaction score
New homebrewer here.

I received the Dead Ringer IPA recipe kit as part of my starter kit (Dead Ringer IPA PDF). From all accounts, it's supposedly exceptionally good. However, my roommate is not a big fan of IPAs at all. I'm not much of one either (I don't dislike them though), and don't pleasure the prospect of having to drink 5 gallons of a brew we both don't particularly love.

I want to alter the recipe and make some sort of compromise between the IPA and other ales that are not as hoppy.

Here's what I'm thinking with the hop schedule:
.5 oz Centennial (60 min)
.5 oz Centennial (20 min)
1 oz Centennial (5 min)
1 oz Centennial (dry hop)

vs the original hop schedule:
1 oz Centennial (60 min)
1 oz Centennial (20 min)
2 oz Centennial (5 min)

what kind of ale am I making at this point? Is this a good compromise?

Sounds like a pale ale instead of an India pale ale. I'm sure it'll be good either way. One way to find out!

This is where brewing software shine (e.g. Beersmith, others - google 'brewing software') Plug your recipe in, and see how adjustments alter things like IBU estimates, etc...

For what you're looking for, I would leave out the dry hop. Either add the 1 oz you were going to use for dry hopping to the 5 minute addition or add it at flame out. The dry hopping will impart more of that IPA flavor you're trying to avoid. With more late additions, you'll get more hop flavor and aroma without it being over the top.

Most people that don't like IPAs think they are too bitter. All you need to change that is reduce or even remove the 60 minute addition. You could even move it to late in the boil or dry hop where it will add flavor and aroma but not so much bitterness.

I agree- in fact I'm working on several beers with late hopping only and no bittering addition. Using high alpha hops at 20M and onward will still give you some bitterness. I'm the same way- I like a lot of hop aroma, but less bitterness than most.

+1 I enjoy the hop aroma and flavor more than pure raw bitterness. I'll keep the IBUs about 40 to 60, with half or a bit more coming from the later additions

I think that would be ok, but the malt may be on the high side if you cut the hops in half. I have brewed this beer several times and have adjusted the hop schedule by using centenial as bittering, but then adding 1 more ounce of centennial and the rest cascade for the late additions and citra for dry hop. Cascade is a milder hop than centennial, with a similar flavor. I think you would be ok with your idea though. .. . .again, my concern would be the relatively big malt profile and cutting the hops in half. If I was going to cut the hops back, I would also maybe drop the gravity .1 or so.

The dryhop won't add bitterness. It will add hop character, aroma, flavor. That is a good thing. I've never met a new beer drinker who complained about the pleasant fruity, citrusy flavors/aromas in an IPA. If they don't like it, then it's more about the high level of bitterness. By shifting the majority of your hops late and in the dryhop, you avoid that harsh bitterness w/o downgrading an IPA to a Malt-forward ale.

In your case, I'd go:

20 IBUs Centennial (FWH)
15 IBUs Centennial (15 min)
10 IBUs Centennial (15 min)
1.5 oz Centennial (0 min)
2.5 oz Centennial (dry hop)

Cracked the first bottle open today! I ended up going with:

1 oz Centennial (0 min)

My roommate and I were very pleased with the results. Bitterness was definitely present, but not overwhelming and the nice hop flavor gave way to a slightly sweet, malty finish. Only qualms for me was the aroma seemed a bit muted, but that's probably just from my allergies.

If I were to change this, I'd probably add another ounce of Centennial to the dry hop, and maybe another ounce at flameout.

Thanks for all the help!

dennis0 said:
New homebrewer here.

I received the Dead Ringer IPA recipe kit as part of my starter kit (Dead Ringer IPA PDF). From all accounts, it's supposedly exceptionally good. However, my roommate is not a big fan of IPAs at all. I'm not much of one either (I don't dislike them though), and don't pleasure the prospect of having to drink 5 gallons of a brew we both don't particularly love.

I want to alter the recipe and make some sort of compromise between the IPA and other ales that are not as hoppy.

Here's what I'm thinking with the hop schedule:
1 oz Centennial (5 min)

vs the original hop schedule:
1 oz Centennial (60 min)
1 oz Centennial (20 min)
2 oz Centennial (5 min)

what kind of ale am I making at this point? Is this a good compromise?

That's gonna be good as hell is what.

Maybe not as good as their recipe, maybe better.

I think they have two much boil hops for Two Hearted anyway.

Two Hearted is not a punch you in the face IPA, though.

Back