making a lager with dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fultonhopper

Reaction score
I noticed that many lager kits give the option of using dry yeast, which ferments at 60-70 degrees. If I use such a recipe, will it make a quality beer? Should I just stick with ale?

It depends on the yeast that comes with the kit. There are several dry lager yeasts out there. If it's an ale yeast, then it won't be a lager... a lager-like ale at best. If you get a lager yeast, it should still be fermented around 50°F.

I know that Safbrew makes a dried lager strain called Saflager S-23. I was thinking about using it because they say that you can use it at ale temperatures.

However, a quick search on here will tell you that very few brewers, if any, have had a good experience with it.

With that being said, yes there are dried lager yeasts, and, yes, you can use them at ale temps, but they probably won't give you good results...

Last year I brewed Vienna Lager using dry yeast Safale S-33 (the old Edme strain).

I wanted to brew a Marzen-esque bier (turned out to be a Vienna Lager) and don't have lagering capabilities....so I read up on my dry yeasts and pitched a pack of S-33 at room temp (68F) and hoped for a miracle. After 7 days in primary and 7 days in secondary at room temp I bottled...waited three weeks and tossed them in the coldest part of my fridge for two months.

The beer had absolutely no ale qualities, it was incredibly clear, crisp, malty...In fact it even placed 2nd in the Vienna Lager category at several homebrew competitions including the recent MCAB.

So to answer your question, can an ale yeast make quality beer with lager-like qualities? Yes. Will fermenting a lager yeast between 60-70 degrees produce a drinkable product? probably... but will it be just as good as a neutral ale yeast? hmm...let me know when you find out!

Recipe for my pseudo Ale-Vienna Lager...makes just a bit over 5 gallons @ 70% efficiency

8 lbs Pilsen Malt
1 lb Vienna
1 lb Munich
.5 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrin Malt
.5 lb Munich 10L
.5 lb Victory
.5 lb Aromatic

Mashed in a Blichmann Boilermaker with false bottom raising temp with burner for each step:

30 min @ 122
30 min @ 147
30 min @ 158

Sparge as usual, boil 1 hour:

.25oz willamette leaf 5% for 60 mins
.5oz Mt. Hood 5% for 30 mins
Irish moss for 15 mins

Pitched Safale S-33, constant temp of 68
Primary around a week in plastic
Secondary around a week in plastic
Bottled, carbonated @ room temp for 4 weeks
Fridged for 2 months minimum...don't touch them, they mellow out and clear incredibly well after 5 months.

S.G. 1.054
F.G. 1.012

Happy Brewing!

I have used S-23 a couple of times, with mixed results. I had a diacetyl infection that developed in the keg (it was not present at kegging), but I think that was due to an infection, not the yeast. The other time I had no issues.

I am about to brew a batch of light lager with S-23 again. I'll use two packs this time, to make sure.

22415, thanks much for posting the recipe. Looks tasty. I'll have to make this on the tail end of another brew so I can keep my hands off it that long in storage.

Back