Making a great Belgian Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmancuso

Reaction score
I feel like there are a lot of great wits made in the u.s. Two of my favorites are new belgiums mothership wit and allagash white. I have been on a mission trying to create a great authentic wit and haven't come close to these two. I figured a true belgian wit should be made with unmalted wheat and that is what i've been using. After talking with brewmasters of 2 local brewpubs they both told me they would never let unmalted wheat near their mill and they made up for it with torrified wheat or larger portions of malted wheat. I know the true wit producers are using unmalted wheat, i'm just wondering what the chances are that the great wit's that are made in america are using unmalted wheat. Does anyone know of microbreweries using unmalted wheat?

Not sure, but I make an excellent wit using 50/50 malted and flaked. It turns out fantastic everytime. My recipe is in my profile if you're interested.

Back