Making a dry red wine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWN

Reaction score
So I am looking to start making wine. I have made a few meads and lots of ciders and am ready to try my hand at wine. My wife really likes dry red wines, I do too when I drink wine. I kind of need to do something to appease her as this beer brewing obsession is starting to get to her. For what I can see it looks like the best option is just to buy a kit from one of the major online homebrew shops. Any recommendations on a good kit or if I should go a different route. I am thinking something like a Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot noir, or a Shiraz. I am not looking for something that is ready quick, I have no problem waiting for something that turns out good. Thanks.

With wine kits, you really do get what you pay for. A moderately priced kit ($100) makes a decent bottle of wine, while a premium kit ($150+) makes a really wonderful wine.

I really like the Cellar Craft Showcase kits for good quality kits. When you're looking for a kit, look for one with the most juice and less concentrate as well as grapeskin packs for fermentation.

You should have everything you need, except for maybe a 6 gallon carboy and a corker. You'll need corks before bottling time, and more campden tablets than are in the kit, but everything else comes in the kit.

Thanks yooper. I will look at those kits. Where can I buy those? I don't mind paying more to get something good. Do I need the six gallon carboy as a secondary or for primary? Could I use a bucket for primary then rack to a five gallon carboy? Or is that cutting it to close?

Thanks yooper. I will look at those kits. Where can I buy those? I don't mind paying more to get something good. Do I need the six gallon carboy as a secondary or for primary? Could I use a bucket for primary then rack to a five gallon carboy? Or is that cutting it to close?

Wine kits make 6 gallons- so you need a six gallon carboy! A bucket for primary is fine, though.

I bought about 5 kits from Northern Brewer last year when they had a sale. You can find them at any homebrew store, but shipping can be a killer if you don't have a store with flat rate shipping or a local place.

I've bought kits from many different places over the years. Any reputable seller will have kits that vary in quality from cheapest ($60-75) to ultra premium (near $200). I'd choose one in the middle if you want to have something very good without risking $200!

I will agree that if you are going to buy a kit, get the best kit that you can afford, I would go with the ultra premium Eclipse series, these are the best available, there is more juice, less water, grape skin packs and in mist cases, yeast that are suited for the wine, not just the generic EC-1118.
Although these can be consumed fairly quick, you would be far better off by letting them age a few months, 6 at the least.
Another option is that it is Chilean grape season, you can pick up a juice bucket (fresh pressed juice) for about 60 dollars and make a real good wine in 6 months to a year.
I've made a few of the middle range kits, a few Ultra premium kits and a ton of juice buckets, the only thing that really eliminates the "kit taste" is time, or running them through oak barrels.
And I agree, you get what you pay for.

You can if you don't mind the loss. I own about a pile of 5 gallon and a couple 54 liter demis so I have the same problem.

I don't do many kits, but when I do I put the extra gallon in a one gallon jug with airlock and use it as my topper-upper. After each rack you switch your topper to a smaller bottle. At the last rack you drink the remainder.

Back