making a double or imperial by removing water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowdy

Reaction score
just wondering if say using a 10 gallon recipe and brewing it like 5 gallons or 5 brewed as 2.5 would this work for making imperials or say double ipa.
just to play around with some styles?
it seems like most just double ingredients to make iipa like firestone walkers double jack, any reason to not just cut the water in half and use the same ingredients?

Might be worth a try. I think usually people just add extra base grains and make minor changes to speciality grains and hops. I was just looking at bock and dopplebock recipes and thats what I noticed. Doubling the amount of hop or black patent might makes these flavors too overpowering. But brewing is all about being creative. I usually mess with a recipe on my computer to try and fit it into the style I am going for. Good luck.

Personally, I believe you have to increase the amount of hops exponentially, not just geometrically, with an increase in malt.

I'm sure someone was going to post this eventually:
13058d1253621398-more-malt-extract-more-hops-hopsgraph.jpg

If you want to brew a different beer, use a different recipe. A good recipe will be engineered to make a great beer at whatever gravity to which it's intended to be brewed.

I'm planning on trying this in the near future. Taking a 5 gal kit and reducing the volumes to up the OG, though i will be adding extra hops to the mix and maybe an addition of honey to up it more. I tend to get bored with following others recipes.

Back