Making a big Lager starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
I'm planning to do a Schwarzbier with a potential OG of 1.080-1.090 tomorrow. I only have one packet of S23 and am hoping I can find a couple more packs at the local homebrew shop, which is fairly doubtful. If I'm in a pinch, can I make a 1 gallon starter with my S23 to get the cell count up to a pitchable rate in time? Second, do you have to keep the starter at a specific temperature because it is a lager yeast?

I have tried S-23 and WLP830 and I must say that I liked the White Labs WLP830 results much better. Before the keg kicked it was over 5 months and it was fantastic beer. The S-23 had more sweetness and was less like a lager to me. The same brew was used for both ferments.

I have tried S-23 and WLP830 and I must say that I liked the White Labs WLP830 results much better. Before the keg kicked it was over 5 months and it was fantastic beer. The S-23 had more sweetness and was less like a lager to me. The same brew was used for both ferments.

+1! S-23 was a disaster for me, even pitching plenty of yeast. I tried BrewFerm and it was even worse. A 2L starter of WLP830 made the best beer I have made to date.

Back